Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
Marriott Rewards is currently running a Megabonus promotion between now and 31 January, 2019.
The promo is decidedly underwhelming and is made up of two parts:
- 2,000 bonus points on all stays of two or more nights
- 1,000 bonus points per brand, starting with the second brand
Registration is required. You can do that by clicking here and logging in to your Marriott account.
At some point during October, an additional element was added to the promotion. You can receive an additional bonus of:
- 10,000 bonus points for staying at ten different brands
- 29,000 bonus points for staying at all twenty-nine Marriott brands
Since these bonus points are additional to the 1,000 point per brand element, you could end up with:
- 19,000 bonus points for staying at ten brands (remember the first brand doesn’t earn 1,000 bonus points)
- 67,000 bonus points for staying at twenty-nine brands (the 10K and 29K bonuses are cumulative)
No Wonder We’re Still Bored by Megabonus…
As a reminder, this is what the new Marriott award chart looks like.
So, if you complete the difficult task of staying at ten different brands, you will earn barely enough points for one free night at a Category 3 hotel.
I can’t imagine that anybody will be able to complete all 29 brands – after all, there aren’t many Gaylord, Marriott Executive Apartments, Edition, etc. hotels in the world. But should somebody do so… they would only pick up enough bonus points to pay for one free night at a top Category 7 hotel. Ridiculous!
Some people are instinctively drawn to promotions that involve chasing targets. But without a worthwhile bonus, what’s the point? It’s no wonder that people barely seemed to notice the additional element of Megabonus, and have been focusing on hoovering up 50 or more bonus points for free.
Did you even notice this change? I can only find one or two blogger mentions so it might have passed us all by…