Etihad redemption fail - thoughts appreciated

Discussion in 'Etihad Guest' started by tommyl, Jan 14, 2016.

1. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

Morning all. I had a slightly frustrating experience with Etihad yesterday. I booked an Economy return to Manila, with the aim of upgrading using my points mountain (a risk, I know, but a calculated one).

Anyway, having booked I was then able to upgrade LHR to AUH, AUH to MNL and MNL to AUH. Unfortunately the final AUH to LHR leg showed as unavailable for upgrade.

I phoned Etihad Guest, who confirmed that there was no reward seat availability on this flight. They did however say that I should keep phoning back to see if a cancellation had occurred, or if more seats had been released (my flight is in March). At the risk of sounding like a diva, I don't really fancy being demoted to Economy for the final leg of this (otherwise Business Class) long haul - has anyone had a similar experience and so can comment on the likelihood of space opening up?

2. GnarlyOldGoatDude

GnarlyOldGoatDude Active Member

Flash your Air Malta card. That'll work wonders. Didn't you know that it's going to be a reverse-takeover?

Pete B and tommyl like this.
  3. tommyl

That's a real scoop GOGD - presumably James Hogan was lured in by promises of unlimited pastizzi and the crack team of Maltese negotiators took it from there.

Strictly on topic, I have written an email to Etihad Guest copying Big James in - they promised me a favour when I moaned after the devaluation, so we'll see where that gets us. You can but ask...

JoeD likes this.
  4. GnarlyOldGoatDude

Yes, sorry abut that. Having never flown Etihad, I have no insight at all.

Of course, you can always dip into your other wads of points to get back on Emirates or Qatar.

5. tommyl

Thanks GOGD - rest assured I always enjoy your "alternative take".

Wads of Emirates miles, zero Qatar. But no use anyway as the Economy fare was fully booked with Etihad.

6. GnarlyOldGoatDude

Qatar through BA miles.
    However, I was thinking of saving you a Ryanair flight by routing you from DXB-MLA on EK.

Of course if you actually wanted to go to the UK, that's another story.

7. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

No idea, but would suspect that normally you'd just have to wait to see if award space opens up - if you're owed a favour from the boss man though who knows!

8. tommyl

Rest assured my calendar reminds me of a weekly call to Etihad Guest between now and March. Perhaps I can badger them into submission (it's worked in the past).

I did bag the upgrade for 3 out of 4 legs, so I can't complain too strongly, but it will be a mournful plod to the back on that last flight :oops:.

9. GnarlyOldGoatDude

If you walk in backwards, you can still turn left.

Pete B, Gagravarr and tommyl like this.
  10. tommyl

Thanks GOGD - gold. Can I run this as a post? "The ultimate business class travel hack"?

Pete B likes this.
  11. GnarlyOldGoatDude

You can have that one free of charge.
    Bring your own pillow...that's another one...

12. GnarlyOldGoatDude

I see in today's ToM that EK are changing the route of their Malta flight to go via Tunis instead of Larnaca.

13. tommyl

There is a conclusion to this cliff-hanger of a problem, and you'll all be dying to find it out...

I told Etihad Guest they owed me a favour and should upgrade me. They told me to stick it *sob* :(

14. GnarlyOldGoatDude

Have you decided to slum it?
    I've never looked at Etihad's scheme, so did you have to pay more for an economy bucket that was potentially upgradable?

15. tommyl

Exactly, but given that three of the 4 legs were upgraded, it's far from the end of the world.

supertag likes this.
  16. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Is there any chance availability will open up the week or 2 before?

17. tommyl

Possibly - I have been told to keep telephoning to see. Will naturally do so given how good Etihad Biz Class is, but not holding out much hope.

Slightly frustrating as I have an Etihad miles mountain (was saving up for a first class return to AUH (before I remembered I had a wife and kids too) but such is life...

18. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

With Etihad, does the upgrade space come from the same bucket as "Guest Business" award space?

19. tommyl

Good question. I don't know for certain, but I would have thought so.

In part to check re your query, I had a look at the redemption seats available on the one "non-upgradeable" leg of my flight. Guest Business is sold out, Business Saver is sold out, but Business Freedom is still available - so there are still Biz Class seats available, if clearly not in the upgrade bucket. I will keep badgering.

20. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

If there's still space nearer the time, Etihad usually seem quite good at releasing it to partners (which means making it Guest Business on their own system), so you might manage it yet!