Hilton offering status matches for 2016, including to Diamond!

Discussion in 'Hilton Honors' started by Gagravarr, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

As announced on FlyerTalk just earlier, and presumably somewhat inspired by the current Hyatt status match aimed especially at SPG folks, Hilton HHonors are doing a status match too. Status would be valid until March 2017, and requests need to be received by January 11th 2016, so you've a little time to get your application in

To apply, apparently, all you need to do is email [email protected] with a screenshot showing your elite status in a competing program (I suspect one also showing how many stays/nights would help), and letting them know your HHonors number.

Due to Thanksgiving, don't expect a speedy reply, but hopefully you'd hear back in under a week. Given that Hyatt are now saying it'll take them around 2 weeks to process matches, that's not too bad really!

tommyl likes this.
  2. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

A clear nod to the Hyatt offer I think.

I do have mixed feelings about these offers - on the one hand they are a great way for canny travellers to get status, on the other they are a massive slap in the face for people (i.e. loyal customers) who have earned them "properly".

3. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

I originally got HHonors Gold via an Airline - no stays needed, Gold card just came in the post. That year I stayed enough to renew it. Year after I got them to give me a Diamond challenge, got that within the 3 months, year after I renewed on stays, year after stays and nights! This year I could also get it via BA GGL too...

Given how many US-based people seem to have HHonors Diamond just from spending too much on their credit card, I can't complain too much about this. If you match but hardly ever stay, you'll drop out quickly enough and won't use too many benefits in the mean time. With all the Credit Card Diamonds in the US, benefits are sufficiently weak that you probably wouldn't notice a few status matchers too. Though I did hear a rumour that hotels can see, if they check, the difference between a Nights-in-Bed Diamond and a GGL Diamond, so effects may depend on what (if any) hotels can see about these matchers.

If all the matched-Diamonds start staying in the Hilton hotels in Europe and Asia which offer great Diamond recognition, and stop me getting nice upgrades, then my opinion may change though!

tommyl likes this.
  4. Wembleygal

Wembleygal New Member

Should be interesting to see going forward ...

5. tommyl

It should. I've been Gold for years, but recently got upgraded to Diamond via the status match. I will be very interested to see how Diamond compares, particularly given the "watering down" of its exclusivity via the status match.

I'll certainly report back - my next big Hilton stay is early next month.

6. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

An update on this. The email address is no longer valid for status matches apparently, but Hilton haven't publicised that. The inbox is still set up but people aren't receiving responses. The original status match web page they set up has also gone for a burton.

To apply for your status match now, you have to fill out the form at https://hiltonhhonors.hiltonapps.com.

I'm a little disappointed because Hilton gave me conflicting information as to the correct way of submitting, which wasted a lot of time.

When I finally got hold of the correct link, I wasn't even able to complete an application because, although I had GHA platinum status from my Business Traveller subscription, the new form requires that you submit proof of a GHA stay, which I don't have. Oh well!

7. tommyl

This may be slightly controversial, but you could of course book a GHA hotel on a fully refundable rate, get the booking confirmation email and then cancel. You can then use that confirmation email for Hilton purposes (just make sure you send it after the date of the stay!)

8. tommyl

Just noticed I didn't report back on this thread as I suggested I would, but I did do a full review here.

Basically, any status seems to be pretty limply treated in the US, particularly compared to the red carpet treatment you get, even as a Gold, in Europe (save London, from my experience).

9. GnarlyOldGoatDude

GnarlyOldGoatDude Active Member

I've never really noticed a difference between gold and diamond. I've been treated well and indifferently through both.

I believe that tommyl had a better experience at the Conrad Instanbul as a gold than I did as a diamond. However, back in the day I'd stay at UK Hiltons in Newbury or Southampton as a gold and they couldn't do enough for me.

10. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Hilton fans - would you say the Park Lane Hilton, or the Conrad St.James would be best to use a free night certificate (with Diamond status)? In terms of location they're both fine for me, and obviously both look good. I'd probably be down on a Saturday if that makes a difference.

11. tommyl

To be honest I think my treatment at the Conrad Istanbul had as much to do with my chubby cheeked, wide eyed toddlers as my HHonors status.

12. tommyl

For me the Conrad wins comfortably.

13. GnarlyOldGoatDude

GnarlyOldGoatDude Active Member

I've had a good stay at the Trafalgar recently. I was surprised to see correspondence in another place (not the house of lords) about whether the Trafalgar is better than the Conrad. It was a split decision.

litefoot likes this.
  14. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Cheers - are the exec lounges any good?

15. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Slightly off topic - does Hilton Gold status get you any significant benefits at the Hampton Inn Croydon? Doesn't look like they have anything other than standard rooms. I know you said elsewhere that you've stayed a few times.

16. tommyl

Gold has fairly limited effect at Hamptons, although in addition to the bonus points, late check-out etc you'll get "250 HHonors Bonus Points per stay or a choice of snack and non-alcoholic beverage".

Hamptons tend to have largely standard rooms (i.e. Twin, Queen or Queen with sofa bed), so there's not much scope for upgrading. The only real variance tends to be rooms with a view or corner rooms, which they should allocate to you if available.

litefoot likes this.
  17. craigp

craigp New Member

Hilton have just matched me again from IHG Spire to diamond until March 2018!!!

Wooooo

18. tommyl

Woooo from me to: I also got matched from Spire:

[​IMG]

I did it a little while ago, in the first round of status matches, so I am only through until March 2017.

As we discussed before, not a huge step up from Hilton Gold to Hilton Diamond, but certainly worthwhile on the back of a status match.

19. Ian

Ian Active Member

I actually think the Diamond is worth having above Gold, even if just for the guaranteed lounge access. It means I can book the cheapest level of room (really just need a shower and bed when travelling for business), probably get an upgrade but definitely get lounge access.

I'm debating if it's worth my while applying for a match again. I got matched Marriott Platinum to Hilton Diamond in the previous campaign, so like tommyl I have this until March 2017, but just wondering if I should apply again to keep it until March 2018. Anyone been successful with this?

20. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing. I think I'll prob give it a spin, I imagine the worst that can happen is they say no?