Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
Through Iberia Plus and Groupon, you can currently buy Avios points for as little as 0.95 Euro Cents (0.76 pence) each.
Avios points are on sale with Groupon at the following rates:
- 2,000 Avios for €19 (£15.14, so 0.76p per Avios)
- 4,000 Avios for €49 (£39.05, so 0.97p per Avios)
- 8,000 Avios for €99 (£78.90, so 0.99p per Avios)
- 12,000 Avios for €149 (£118.75, so 0.99p per Avios)
- 20.000 Avios for €259 (£206.40, so 0.97 per Avios)
At these prices, I would only really contemplate buying the 2,000 chunk – although what you value an Avios point at may vary substantially from my valuation!
Note that there is a limit of 5 purchases or 100,000 Avios per Iberia Plus user, save that you can also only buy one set of 2,000 Avios per person (the 2,000 Avios deal is, as highlighted above, clearly the best value).
This offer previously ran in December 2015, when the much stronger pound made this a considerably better deal for people buying in Sterling.
Purchase process and limits
Upon purchase, you will be emailed a voucher. You then need to go to the Groupon website before 11 May 2016, punch in your voucher number and your Iberia Plus number and your Avios will be added to your Iberia Plus Account within a maximum of 30 working days.
Given the problems people have had in the past with this offer, set out below is a detailed, step-by-step guide to the process for claiming these Avios, prepared by Andrew H (and reproduced with thanks):
- Once you’ve made your purchase, it will show up in your Groupon purchases as ‘processing’. Wait 5 or 10 minutes and check again (you should get an email to confirm that the Avios are ready).
- The ‘processing’ message should have disappeared and a link should appear in its place. Click it and you will be taken to a new page to redeem the Avios.
- On the left side there should be a blue button underneath a picture of an Iberia plane. Click the button and a pdf file will open in a new tab. At the top left there should be a security code and a coupon code. You will need these codes so make a note of them (ignore the ‘ref’ code).
- Close the pdf file. Towards the bottom of the previous page, there’s a set of instructions. In the first paragraph there should be a small link. Click it, and you’ll be taken to a new page with some fields to fill in.
- Add the security code, the coupon code, your email address, click the tick box, and hit the green ‘validate coupon’ button. The page will not change, but on the right hand side, your coupon details will appear. This is where the main problem lies. I HAD TO DO THIS TEN TIMES TO GET IT TO WORK. Same as last December. But it will eventually work, just be patient!
- When you can see your code details on the right, scroll down the page and click the blue ‘continue’ button (not the green one, which is to validate the coupon – you’ve already done it).
- You will be taken to a new page and prompted to enter your Iberia Plus number. Again, it took me ten attempts to do this, but it will eventually accept it!
- You should then get a confirmation message on the next page!
Importantly, if you do not want to use your Avios points with Iberia, but rather switch them across to your avios.com or BA Executive Club account, you can do this via the “Combine My Avios” option. However, your Iberia Plus account will need to be at least 90 days old, so bear this in mind if you are opening a new one.
Incidentally, if you want 250 Avios without paying a penny, you can get hold of them here.
Questions or comments? This offer is currently being discussed on our forums!