Groupon/Iberia offer is back up

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by litefoot, Apr 14, 2016.

1. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Groupon have restarted their offer to buy discounted Avios. I took advantage of this in December and bought 2000 Avios for 19 euros. The Avios were uploaded to my Iberia account after three weeks.

Unfortunately Groupon/Iberia made a mess of the larger avios purchases and it's put a lot of people off using them again (see the Flyertalk thread for the full tale).

Link is https://www.groupon.es/deals/ga-avios-group-espana

tommyl likes this.
  2. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

I have purchased 2000 as I did last December (it's £15.72 through Paypal).

3. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

We have a blog post on this scheduled for tomorrow morning. I agree the 2.000 is the only really tempting offer.

Of course, prices even less tempting now than they were in December, for the Sterling buyer at least!

litefoot likes this.
  4. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Once you've made your purchase, here's how to claim the Avios. Unfortunately Groupon's clunky system for doing it is the same as it was in December. Some patience will be required!

Once you've made your purchase, it will show up in your Groupon purchases as 'processing'. Wait 5 or 10 minutes and check again (you should get an email to confirm that the Avios are ready).

The 'processing' message should have disappeared and a link should appear in its place. Click it and you will be taken to a new page to redeem the Avios.

On the left side there should be a blue button underneath a picture of an Iberia plane. Click the button and a pdf file will open in a new tab. At the top left there should be a security code and a coupon code. You will need these codes so make a note of them (ignore the 'ref' code).

Close the pdf file. Towards the bottom of the previous page, there's a set of instructions. In the first paragraph there should be a small link. Click it, and you'll be taken to a new page with some fields to fill in.

Add the security code, the coupon code, your email address, click the tick box, and hit the green 'validate coupon' button. The page will not change, but on the right hand side, your coupon details will appear.

This is where the main problem lies. I HAD TO DO THIS TEN TIMES TO GET IT TO WORK. Same as last December. But it will eventually work, just be patient!

When you can see your code details on the right, scroll down the page and click the blue 'continue' button (not the green one, which is to validate the coupon - you've already done it).

You will be taken to a new page and prompted to enter your Iberia Plus number. Again, it took me ten attempts to do this, but it will eventually accept it!

You should then get a confirmation message on the next page!

Good luck everyone!

Gagravarr likes this.
  5. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

I forgot to say - I was using Google Chrome, and if you right click on any of the pages, you're given an option to 'Translate to English'. Should make it slightly easier.

I'm glad I did this back in December, as I remember the pitfalls of the redemption process. So many people got fed up trying to redeem the code. Much easier second time around.

6. Alias

Alias New Member

"Note that there is a limit of 5 purchases or 100,000 Avios per Iberia Plus user, save that you can also only buy one set of 2,000 Avios per person (the 2,000 Avios deal is, as highlighted above, clearly the best value)."
    2,000 Avios for €19 (£15.14, so 0.76p per Avios) may be the best value but with a limit of 5 purchases per Iberia Plus user, you don't get that far with 10K (5 * 2.000). 50 * 2.000 would've been wonderful. Or am I missing something?

litefoot likes this.
  7. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

The 2,000 points are limited to one per person, not 5! So the most you can get is 2,000, from what I can make out.

Given that the 2,000 points rate is the only one I am tempted by, the most I would recommend anyone buying here is 2,000.

You certainly won't get far with 2,000 points, but in my view all part of adding them to the collection, before redeeming in a big blow-out.

litefoot likes this.
  8. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

I neglected to mention that if you buy via the Iberia Store you get extra avios. For a purchase of 2000 you get 300 more. I did this in December but forgot this time. It would be too much of a faf trying to get them now!

9. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Iberia have increased their offer of 5 avios per euro spent at Groupon to 8 avios per euro.

10. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Just got the 2000 avios in my Iberia account.

The 2000 avios packages sold out fast. All the others are gone too.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  11. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Iberia's latest offer of 50% bonus Avios on purchases is not enticing. £44 plus transaction fees for 3000 avios? I'll pass.

Maybe you gents can find some value in the bigger miles purchases?

12. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

13. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

The 2000 avios packages have sold out and the 4000 packages are heading that way too. Buy now if you haven't already.

14. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

This is back up again! 2k for 19 euros!

When buying through IberiaPluStore, you get 2190 avios for just £16.85. A great deal and I'm in!

Adam and JoeD like this.
  15. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Cheers litefoot!

litefoot likes this.
  16. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Also discussing this with Craig on his Starwood/Marriott article

17. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

aye, just saw that now.

18. Chan

Chan New Member

I hve made 2 purchase of 8000 avios and single purchase of 2000 avios
    Groupon code worth €20 "CUPON20" applicable to first account purchase. What a saving!

Attached Files:

tommyl, litefoot and JoeD like this.
  19. Chan

Chan New Member

BA avios is always the best choice for Business class flight!

20. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Got my avios this morning. Check your accounts! :)

Chan likes this.