Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
I could tell that the e-mail was a trap, but I just couldn’t resist the part about 25,000 bonus Marriott points…
At first glance, it seems like a pretty good deal. For £279 you could receive:
- 3 nights in a 2-bedroom apartment in Marbella, Spain
- 4-day rental car from Sixt, including CDW insurance and unlimited mileage
- 25,000 Marriott Rewards points (potentially worth £150+)
The dates in question aren’t ideal for the beach, but that £279 price would apply to:
- 1 November, 2018 until 7 April, 2019
- 27 – 30 April, 2019
Of course there’s one small problem… This is one of those promotional offers that comes with the requirement to sit through a 90-minute presentation on Marriott Vacation Club timeshares. If you are interested in reading the fine print, you can click here.
I’ve never sat through such a presentation, but I’m told that there are three potential outcomes:
- You suffer through a high-pressure 90-minute sales pitch with no respite, but make it out alive
- You make it clear at the beginning that you won’t be buying a timeshare and the salesperson decides not to bother with the heavy pressure
- You actually sign up for a timeshare on the spot
Number 3 is why it is a condition of such offers that your partner attends the presentation with you. So no easy excuse of “I have to go away and discuss it with my partner…”
Of course, since most people would also need to include transportation costs to get to Malaga, this isn’t a particularly straightforward way to earn 25,000 Marriott points. But I’m also tempted… if only to grill the salesperson about 5-night Travel Packages under the new Marriott loyalty programme, as those are notionally only available to Marriott timeshare owners.
How about you? Have you ever sat through a timeshare presentation to get a cheap holiday or some bonus points? Let us know…