Some links to products and partners on this website will earn an affiliate commission.
Until 11pm on Friday (midnight GMT, 30th April 2021), Virgin is offering a bonus of up to 50% on points purchases.
“Top up your Flying Club account now and receive up to 50% bonus points on purchases of up to 150,000 points! Available for a limited time only.
- 1000 – 4000 points = 0% Bonus
- 5000 – 24,000 points = 15% Bonus
- 25,000 – 69,000 points = 30% Bonus
- 70,000 – 99,000 points = 40% Bonus
- 100,000 – 150,000 points = 50% Bonus”
If you purchase 100,000+ (pre-bonus, so 150,000+ total), you will pay just slightly over 1p per point:
In general, that’s an ok price, but not really compelling enough to get me excited, given Virgin’s redemption options. There is one big exception though: if you want to fly ANA Business/First Class to Japan.
Business / First Class Bargains
We covered it in more detail here, but it is possible to fly ANA’s excellent Business / First Class products, by redeeming Virgin Points. The key details are as follows:
One-way flights can now be booked between the UK/Europe and Japan for:
- Economy: 32,500 Virgin Points
- Business Class: 47,500 Virgin Points
- First Class: 60,000 Virgin Points
Returns cost twice as much.
From the UK, you should expect to pay about £235 in taxes/surcharges for Business or First Class:
In the opposite direction, it shouldn’t be much more than £25:
To be clear, for a First Class return you would need £260 + 120,000 Virgin Points. If you paid ~1p each for those points in the Virgin sale, your total ‘out of pocket’ cost would be ~£1,460. That’s for flights that retail at over £11,000!
If you wanted to fly Business Class instead, your total for a return would be just over £1,200. That’s a very good price, but I’d strongly recommend pushing the boat out and booking First if you can find availability.
If you happened to be in Japan already (or used other points/miles to get there), you could potentially pay just ~£625 (60,000 Virgin Points + £25 tax/fees) to fly ANA First Class one way from Tokyo to London, assuming you bought enough points in total to benefit from the full 50% bonus. That has to be one the greatest redemptions in the world of points/miles right now.
From the UK, a one way would be bumped up to ~£835, primarily due to Air Passenger Duty, which is still an extraordinary deal.
Always check award availability first before buying points.
If you do want to stock up, remember that the 50% bonus ends on Friday!
- Applicable Buy points purchases made through Points.com between 30th March and midnight GMT 30th April 2021 inclusive will be eligible to receive bonus points. When you buy 5,000-24,000 points you will earn 15% bonus points, 25,000-69,000 = 30% bonus, 70,000 – 99,000 = 40% bonus, 100,000 – 150,000 = 50% bonus. The points will be credited at the point of purchase and will appear on the members’ account within 24 hours.
- A member can purchase a total of 100,000 points each calendar year, in increments of 1,000 points. Between 30th March and midnight GMT 30th April 2021 a member can purchase a total of 150,000 points each calendar year, in increments of 1,000 points.
- Members will have the right to cancel any purchases of points for up to 14 days after the date of purchase provided that none of the purchased points have been redeemed. If any of the purchased points have been redeemed then members will not be entitled to a refund for any of the purchased points including those that have not been redeemed. Once the 14 day cooling off period has expired any points purchased and received by members are non-refundable and non-transferable, except as expressly permitted by the terms and conditions of Flying Club.
- All Buy points transactions are subject to a £15/$25 transaction fee.
- Buy points Terms and Conditions apply, and can be found on Virgin Atlantic website: https://www.virginatlantic.com/global/en/footer/terms-and-conditions/flying-club-earning-and-purchasing-miles.html