Cashing out Lufthansa Orphan Miles

Discussion in 'Lufthansa Miles&More' started by litefoot, Feb 8, 2019.

1. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

It's not widely known, but you can log into your Heathrow Rewards account and convert Lufthansa miles into Heathow shopping vouchers.

It's not a great conversion rate but if you have some orphan miles about to expire, it may be your only option.

Minimum conversion rate is 7500 miles = £20 voucher.

Increments of 1875 miles will give you a further £5 voucher.
    Go to 'My Rewards when you log in, and then '£5 airport shopping vouchers'.

Vouchers are delivered to the address registered to your Heathrow Rewards card.

It's rather a shame to get rid of them this way but I am some way short of Lufthansa's 17k award for transcontinental business class within the US... and it's going up to 20k soon.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    JoeD likes this.
  2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Cheers Litefoot! - as you say, not an ideal rate by any means, but it's always good to know how to liquidate balances you can't otherwise use.

litefoot likes this.
  3. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

By the way, if you or anyone else know of some quick ways to get some Lufthansa miles within the next month or two, please post them. :)

4. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Definitely, but unfortunately I can't think of any - M&M isn't a programme I've ever really spent much time looking at.

litefoot likes this.
  5. jtz

jtz New Member

Hope you saw my post on your other thread

litefoot likes this.
  6. jtz

jtz New Member

Thanks, I just saw I have 1000 expiring in March!I have 2900 so far but would love to use them got something 'useful'!

7. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

8. jtz

jtz New Member

litefoot likes this.
  9. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

If it says they're expiring, they're expiring :(

10. Richard1974

Richard1974 Member

This may not necessarily be a good use of Lufthansa orphan miles - because the effective rate of exchange isn't great - but I noticed recently on a Lufthansa short-haul flight in Europe that in-flight wifi was available and that it was possible to pay using miles: https://www.lufthansa.com/ee/en/flynet

By the way, oddly, when you're onboard and connect to the 'FlyNet' wifi network, you won't automatically be redirected to a login page. Instead, you need to go to the following URL (which you'll also find printed on the FlyNet info card in the seat pocket in front of you): http://ww2.lufthansa-flynet.com

Intriguingly, for UK Amex Platinum card holders, once you connect via the above link there also appears to be an option to log in for free using Boingo, though I couldn't actually get that to work...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    JoeD likes this.
  11. Richard1974

Richard1974 Member

With some Lufthansa orphan miles set to expire soon I was trawling through the Lufthansa UK website and noticed that it is possible to redeem Lufthansa miles for gift cards (including Amazon UK, M&S, Apple App Store & iTunes, Costa Coffee, Google Play, John Lewis & Waitrose, Spotify, Tesco and Ticketmaster). The conversion rate is 3700 miles = £10.00 or 9200 miles = £25.00, so that's virtually the same as converting miles to Heathrow shopping vouchers, which is of course a very poor conversion rate - but at least makes some use of them before they expire, and in a way that is arguably even more 'cash-like'.

Further details here:
    https://milesandmore-uk.cadooz.com/

12. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

I recently had 7800 orphan Lufthansa miles expiring on October 1st. Ordinarily I would have gone for the Heathrow Rewards voucher option, but thanks to that idiotic court case in Germany, Miles and More can no longer convert miles into Heathrow vouchers. I didn't have enough for the £25 gift card that you describe, either.

So I took a risk and bought a Swarovski bracelet on World Shop, which I figured I could flog on ebay... which I did, for 30 quid! Problem solved :)

13. Richard1974

Richard1974 Member

Nice one - well done!