Any tips on things to do in Riga?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by JoeD, Feb 1, 2016.

1. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I'm heading to Riga for a few days soon, and wondered if anyone knew any hidden gems, or had any tips that you wish you'd known before you went? Nice pubs/bars, architecture/views and food are probably top of my interest list - cheers!

2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

To answer my my own question in case it's useful to anyone in future - Riga is a great place to spend a weekend!

The city is very manageable (you can walk round most places easily and taxis are cheap anyway), and only 15-20 minutes (~12 Euros) from the airport.

The architecture is interesting, with lots of late Medieval churches and nice cellar bars in the old town, as well as all the relatively famous Art Nouveau stuff just 5 minutes away. Little parks and waterways look very pretty in the snow, and the Daugava River is impressive.

I was a bit concerned it might be full of morons on stag dos, but only saw a couple the whole time. Nightlife is good, and busy once you head inside places, but the streets are quite quiet. Friendly and fairly international crowd of Scandinavians, Russians, Germans as well as a few Brits and plenty of locals. I particularly liked this place: http://www.folkklubs.lv/en - busy, good live music (don't let the folk label put you off!), cheap good beer (1.50-2.50 Euros), and excellent cheap food - the 'beer platters' are great.

Food like potato pancakes with salmon, and goulash style stews are hearty, reasonable (5-8 Euros), and absolutely delicious on a cold day!

Some of the cafes and restaurants right by the very centre of the old town are more expensive (and souvenirs seemed to be shockingly priced - 35 Euros for a cheap looking scarf?), but you only have to walk 60 seconds to avoid them.

I stayed at the Hotel Justus, which is in a great location and I'd give it 7-8 out of 10.

Basically - a very pleasant, easy and good value place to spend a weekend. I think I'll be back.

Lionell likes this.
  3. gurmani

gurmani New Member

Riga near the River Daugava is the best place to visit for in the country. hope you would enjoy without any troubles

4. TigraBY

TigraBY New Member

Not only Riga is worth visiting actually. The rest of Baltics is amaizing too.

5. Norejka

Norejka New Member

6. Oks

Oks New Member

Depends on the time of the year. If it's summer go to Jurmala, it has a nice beach there. Otherwise Old Riga is your best option :)

7. mitsos

mitsos New Member

Riga is by far the most beautiful city in the country.. But overall Latvia is a must-visit country!

8. Glibchik

Glibchik New Member

Interesting architecture