Your favourite small airport lounge?

Discussion in 'Airports & Lounges' started by Gagravarr, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

I'm currently in the lounge in Tallinn airport, sat by a lovely little gas fire, by an antique clock, looking out over the airport apron. The fridge had a better selection of nice sandwiches and quiches and similar than you get in the BA Galleries business lounges in T5. They've got local beer on tap, and the very nice local Vana Tallin spirit for self-pour. They have a small library at the back of the lounge, which suggests you should take books you like with you and drop them back next time. Power sockets no harder to find than in T5, and furniture in much better condition than most BA lounges too...

So, I'm voting the lounge in Tallinn airport my best small airport lounge of the last 12 months!

Anyone else have a favorite from another small airport they'd like to share? :)

Martyusha and JoeD like this.
  2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Sounds great! I can't really think of any small ones that have stood out to be honest. The usual range is dismal to surprisingly decent - depending on whether the food is worth eating, what the booze situation is, and how crowded it gets.

I have a bit of a soft spot for the Yorkshire Premier Lounge at Leeds Bradford, as long as it's not busy.

Concorde Room isn't very big I suppose (even if Heathrow is!)? Also not that great though really, apart from the Grand Siecle (which is sensational when properly chilled :)).

3. Misa

Misa New Member

I liked a lounge at Bangkok airport, it was free for Thai Air travellers and very modern and well stocked! Such a great service..

4. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Not sure that Bangkok counts as a small airport... But good to know there's a decent lounge there :)

5. Richard1974

Richard1974 New Member

The Tallinn airport lounge sounds very good. I'm surprised more airports don't make more of an effort with their lounges, especially in relation to interior design - they often seem to be modelled on the reception areas of budget or chain hotels, whereas (in my view) a better strategy would be to model them on the reception areas of boutique or luxury hotels.

Martyusha and JoeD like this.
  6. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Good point - the cost involved in making something look nice isn't necessarily much greater than something that looks a bit rubbish and it makes a huge difference to customer perception. Particularly in the age of social media, you'd think creating a bit of a talking point design/feature would be a no brainer.

Maybe partner with a local art college/design group.

Martyusha likes this.
  7. Martyusha

Martyusha New Member

Thanks for this post! I'm afraid I don't have a favourite to compare with this, but your description of the lounge at Tallinn makes me even keener to book a trip over there than I already was. Any idea whether the lounge you describe is included in a UK membership of Priority Pass or Lounge Club?