What to do with Amex rewards points- Radisson?

Discussion in 'Miles & points via credit cards' started by FlyingScot, May 16, 2019.

1. FlyingScot

FlyingScot Member

I've got about 22000 Amex rewards points (from a gold card sign up bonus). I think it would make sense for me to close this card, so I can get a bonus again in a couple of years. I think I can't keep the points while doing this, though, so need to decide what to do with them.

I don't have a significant number of avios or points with any airline. I tend to fly from Scotland, and using Easyjet, Ryanair etc. often makes more sense. I think it'll take me a looooong time to get to the stage where I've a useful number of avios or points with another airline - though correct me if I'm wrong.

If I convert these to Radisson points, will that let me stay a Friday or Saturday night at their quoted rates? I have almost no points with Radisson at the moment, but if this got me a free Saturday night in a nice hotel, this seems decent value... I'm open to better suggestions, though - thanks!

JoeD likes this.
  2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yeah, given the circumstances I think that's what I'd choose. 22,000 Amex MR Points would get you 66,000 Radisson Points. You need 70,000 for a night at their highest category hotels, but even if you had to buy the remaining 4,000 it wouldn't cost much (~£20?). They've got a plenty of good 70,000 points hotels in central London etc, where you'd otherwise be paying £250+.

3. FlyingScot

FlyingScot Member

Thanks! Sorry if it's a daft question, but how would I actually book through Radisson rewards - can you do this online, or do you need to phone? And are issues likely with availability?

I've also realised I've got more like 24,000 Amex points - so enough for one night in a high category hotel :)

JoeD likes this.
  4. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Haha, no worries at all! - there really are no daft questions.

As regards transferring the points to Radisson, the best thing to do is to set up an account yourself here: https://www.radissonrewards.com/. Make a note of the account number, then give amex a call asking to transfer your points over to radisson. You can do it online, but ringing is easiest because the amex site can be a bit wonky sometimes.

The points can take quite a while to transfer (8-11 days in my experience).

Once they are in your radisson account, you can book hotels easily online - just head to the normal radisson rewards site (https://www.radissonrewards.com/) log in to your account and then search as normal. To get the points prices, simply select the "Points" option from the 3 tabs at the top of the search results.

Availability is generally pretty good - but obviously for busy times of year (eg. New Years Eve) you'll want to book as far in advance as you can.

If you've got any more questions at all, don't hesitate to ask!

5. DouglasForsyth

DouglasForsyth New Member

There are other cards available which you could earning more benefits from but I would recommend trying to maximise your points from referrals before the annual fee kicks in before you move on

6. FlyingScot

FlyingScot Member

Thanks! Transferred points to Radisson (and good point about referrals!)

JoeD likes this.
  7. FlyingScot

FlyingScot Member

Please ignore post - Radisson customer services were helpful, and I've got a night in what looks like a very nice hotel booked now :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    JoeD likes this.
  8. Tom768099

Tom768099 New Member

Thanks! Transferred points to Radisson (and good point about referrals!)

9. Rachelxxx

Rachelxxx New Member

Thanks for the info

10. Moyt

Moyt New Member

Useful info, thanks

11. Kiwo

Kiwo Member

12. thoray

thoray New Member

thanks ever been in ?