UK Ban on Electronic Devices in the Cabin.

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Strategies' started by JoeD, Mar 21, 2017.

1. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

What are people's takes on this? https://insideflyer.co.uk/2017/03/uk-electronic-device-cabin-ban-need-know/

I can see it being a bit of a nightmare to be honest. the LCCs in particular are going to be in a very tricky spot explaining to people on holiday in Turkey, Egypt and Tunisia that they need to pay for a checked bag on their way home whether they want to or not... Reckon they'll waive the fee?

Turkish Airlines is going to have some serious issues (and it had plenty of external factors to contend with anyway!), between this and the US ban - and even more so if the ban spreads to other European countries.

2. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

This is a nightmare that will hopefully go away before too long. Either you trust security screening in these places - whether screening hold luggage or the carry-on kind - or you don't and you advise British airlines and Britons to not travel there. As it stands, all one would have to do is fly from the Middle East to somewhere with even worse security, before flying to the UK/US. So easy it's pointless to try and stop it...

We all know that the concern these days is radicalised European citizens driving cars and lorries at groups of people. So that laptop bomb is more likely to be coming from Hamburg or Leeds than Amman or Riyadh with their repressive security regimes...

3. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

It does seem like quite a confused response on the face of it, yes. The level of potential disruption suggests the Government have had their hand forced a bit here by something though, as this is hardly going to win them any popularity prizes.

I also think I read somewhere that the Democrats on the House Intel Committee are backing the US ban (which seems even more confused than the UK ban), so presumably there is some point to it beyond Trump being an idiot and the UK just joining in

I don't know if maybe checked bags undergo (or could undergo) heavier scrutiny somehow, or perhaps the relatively small bombs you could fit in electronic devices are less likely to cause catastrophic damage in the hold than in the cabin? I have no idea - just thinking out loud.

The lack of enforcement on connecting passengers is also puzzling. Is there the possibility that part of the concern is infiltration at the listed airports, but I can't really think of why the the ban would help with that at all.

If the issue isn't bombs but something more technologically advanced, you'd obviously need to remove people's phones from them too these days given the processing power they have.

Firearms and explosives are extremely difficult to get hold of without the security services picking up on it in the UK, but yes clearly that can be very different in most of the rest of Europe and the US.

On a separate but related not, I will say that Abu Dhabi security (not on the UK list of course) was extremely slack last time I was there - in Biz Class I was literally just waved through. No interest at all in putting my jacket, my belt, my shoes, my phone, anything in my pockets through the x-ray (I was told to just walk straight through) and the guy manning the machine was watching something on his phone when my bag went through. Not great.

4. Ian

Ian Active Member

I've read a number of expert opinions that suggest the airframe would likely survive a laptop sized explosion in the hold, whereas a similar sized device in the pressurized cabin (and especially right up against the outer edge of the aircraft skin) would be far more likely to cause a catastrophic failure. Personally, I'd prefer not to test either option in practice.

JoeD and FlyingPiggie like this.
  5. FlyingPiggie

I think I have read somewhere a worry that a small hole could be blown in the side of a plane and the passengers sucked out, like in the movies.

Let's see how many planes survive a bunch of lithium batteries catching fire in the hold over the Atlantic...

6. Ian

Ian Active Member

7. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that probably seems the likeliest reason. Indeed, definitely prefer to give experiencing that a miss either way!

8. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I love The Daily Mash, though real news has been giving them a run for their money over the last year or so!

9. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Is the lithium battery thing a real threat at all? - I thought it was more to do with cargo when you have tonnes of batteries all packed up next to each other.

10. FlyingPiggie

No idea really... although I'm often asked about batteries in my luggage when the agents run through their checklist.

And when you see headphones exploding or Samsung gadgets catching fire, I'd rather have that in the cabin where it would be noticed quickly and dealt with.

11. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Agreed!

I don't know if you've seen the measures Emirates/Turkish etc are taking? - I'm actually quite impressed.

FlyingPiggie likes this.
  12. FlyingPiggie

I've been following TK like a hawk, mate, in case the ban extends to Spain and other European countries. Flying TK on Wednesday.

Looks like an entirely sensible response, although part of me thinks an implementation debacle would be a better idea so that the ban gets lifted. Like with liquids and shoes-off, once people figure it out, then it foolishly lives forever...

13. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

My favourite entirely pointless enforcement is when I get told I have the "wrong" sort of clear plastic bag for my liquids...

Getting hassle because I put my toothbrush into the liquids bag is a good one too.

FlyingPiggie likes this.
  14. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Where you off on Turkish? - is this the Star Alliance until 2050 (or whatever) trip?

15. FlyingPiggie

Yeah. In the end I'm flying back from Bogota on TK.

Right now I'm travel hacking away on what I'll do when my return ticket brings me back to Colombia at the end of April. It will probably be in the western hemisphere unless I decide that I have some AS miles needing to be spent on continuing west to Asia in F. Might be JAL this time!

16. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Excellent.

Surely the only sensible way back to Europe from Bogota is via America, Japan and India right? :)

FlyingPiggie likes this.
  17. FlyingPiggie

Naturally... if only the Indian visa wasn't such a pain...

There's also now the option of a 25%-off return from Tokyo on Iberia.

18. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

What's it like if you're just connecting in India?

I never think of Iberia for Asian routes - how much would it be with the 25% discount?

19. SeanD

SeanD New Member

I'm at the point now where I'm totally confused by what I can and can't take on board, what I have to turn off on take off/landing etc etc.

Does anyone know If I'm still banned from taking my Samsung Galaxy Note7 on BA? I googled it but it's not altogether clear.

20. SeanD

SeanD New Member

I'm a huge fan of Turkish - best Economy class by a mile in my book.