Trying to understand Amex referrals between partners

Discussion in 'Miles & points via credit cards' started by Aston100, Mar 13, 2019.

1. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah keeping it simple is definitely best when starting out.

2. Aston100

Aston100 New Member

Got my card this week. Hopefully you got your referral bonus?

So I have a question around a comment in post 4, specifically:
    "You use a referral link to get the Amex Gold, spend £2k as quickly as (comfortably) possible, refer your wife after a couple of weeks, transfer all points from your card (at least 31k in total) across, but keep card for now."

I presume I should have minimum 33k points at this stage (not 31k)?
    At least 2k points from £2k spend + 22k points from meeting the £2k spending target + 9k points from referring wife.

Where you say "refer your wife after a couple of weeks", is this a couple of weeks after I receive my card, or a couple of weeks after hitting the £2k spending target?
    Or is the amount of time not that important but something else is the trigger point for referring my wife for a card?

Thanks again.

By the way, I note the new BA club suites suddenly makes the 241 voucher the ONLY realistic goal for me right now, and requires less points than the first class tickets which don't look sufficiently better than the new BA club world seats/suites.
    Hopefully they'll have them installed for Vancouver by summer 2021, though I note that route is currently flown by an a380 which doesn't seem to (currently) be in scope for a refit. Maybe Toronto is the better option (guaranteed the new club suite) but doesn't feel like sufficiently long enough flight, plus the inevitable battle for limited availability.
    Probably a subject for a separate thread.

JoeD likes this.
  3. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Excellent - yeah got it cheers!

Haha, unfortunately despite being someone who spends a lot of time looking at miles/points/travel hacking/etc, it would seem that simple addition evaded me on that occasion...33k is quite correct :)

Re timing the referral, whenever is fine really - it's just a matter of personal circumstances (how easily you can hit both min spends; when you want your wife to refer you for your next card, and then when you want to refer her for her next card, etc. The 2nd point matters more when you're paying fees than with the gold though I suppose.).

4. Aston100

Aston100 New Member

Cool
    I applied for a supplementary card for her yesterday and I seem to have received 3000 points for this.
    Did not expect that and I can't find anything on the amex site indicating this bonus either.
    So I guess this means I'll have a minimum of 36k points when it's time to cancel.

Is that a known bonus as I can't find anything recent about this on the Internet?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  5. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yep, long been the case but they don't always advertise it - oddly I did notice it being pushed when I logged into my account yesterday.

Unfortunately, our your best laid plans are now dust (or at least a serious rethink!) given the news today: https://insideflyer.co.uk/2019/03/amex-armageddon-churning-sign-bonuses/

6. Aston100

Aston100 New Member

Tried to post this question on that article but seems to have vanished.
    Sorry for any duplication.

Wow, just as I had jumped on the bandwagon this week.

So as I’m still a newbie to all this, can someone comment on this please?

I’ve just received my first ever Amex – a gold preferred rewards card.
    I’ve obtained a supplemental card for my wife.
    I’ve just referred my wife for a gold preferred rewards card.
    I will be ordering a supplementary card for myself.
    Soon, I will get my wife to refer me to the BA PP card.
    I will at some point refer her to this BA PP card too.
    We should both get referral and signup bonuses when we hit minimum spend as we’ve not had any other Amex cards – ever.
    I will cancel one of the BA PP cards as soon as possible as I only want the signup bonus and any referral (that might still be valid given the changes today) against one card but will keep the other to hit the spend to obtain a 241 companion voucher.

My goal is to earn 200k avios by August 2020 to use for flights in late July 2021.
    What if anything can we do next other than wait 24 months?

Thanks.

7. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Over-enthusiastic comment/spam filter on the site I'm afraid - approved now, and what I said over there was:

"That sounds like a solid plan. Tbh, I’m not entirely sure what the policy for referrals is right now (having been told contradictory things), so until we get some data points over the next week or 2, it’s hard to say.

The ‘good’ news is there’s always been ways of getting Avios one way or another – some of the best low hanging fruit is now gone, but I hope and suspect we can come up with something new…

8. KB1

KB1 New Member

just get an AMEX plat. Refer wife for 3 or 4 credit cards then cancel plat. Then wife gets plat and refers you for 3 or 4 cards. lots and lots of points in only a month or 2. just make sure you dont have a mortgage to apply for anytime soon

JoeD likes this.
  9. Aston100

Aston100 New Member

Not sure that works anymore with the sign up bonuses being nerfed the other week

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  10. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Should still work - assuming KB means you'd get the referral points (18k each time) rather than the signup points (which are indeed, more or less, dead)