TopCashBack dropping Tesco Clubcard payout from 31st July 2016

Discussion in 'Free/no additional spend miles & points' started by Gagravarr, May 31, 2016.

1. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Bad news for everyone who liked using TopCashBack to turn their cashback into Tesco Clubcard points, for onward conversion to BA Avios or Virgin Flying Club miles - they're dropping clubcard payouts from 31st July 2016

You would still be able to go directly to avios, but at a much worse rate. You used to be able to turn £10 of clubcard points into 2000 avios with no boost / more with, if you go direct from topcashback it's only about 1000.

Email from topcashback is:

Changes to our Payout Methods - From 31st July 2016 Clubcard points will no longer be available as a payout method.

We are getting in touch to let you know about changes to payout options
    available. Tesco has recently made some alterations to its Clubcard scheme
    and as a consequence from the 31st July 2016, Clubcard points will no longer
    be available as a payout method. While we realise this may be frustrating
    for members, TopCashback tried to do everything it possibly could to keep
    Tesco as a payout method on site.

Our records show that you have either previously used Clubcard as a payout
    method or have registered your Clubcard to your account so if you would like
    to take advantage of the Clubcard payout method one last time you have until
    the 31st July of to do so.

We have spoken with members who have previously used Clubcard as a payout
    method and they told us that they mostly used this option to take advantage
    of the now ceased Clubcard Boost. Excluding this, a third exchanged cashback
    for Clubcard points to then transfer them into airmiles points (i.e. Avios).
    Three in 10 swapped points for restaurants vouchers and a fifth paid for
    family days out.
    However, with 23 other payout options available on TopCashback, most of
    which have added bonuses, much of what members were using Clubcard points
    for is already available as a payout method. This includes:
    * Avios points
    * British Airways Executive Club points
    * The Restaurant Card
    * Great British Pub Card

We are also currently exploring some new exciting ways we can enhance our
    payout offer even more and will hopefully be in touch soon to share some
    news.

TopCashback is constantly working to save members as much money as possible.
    As part of this, we continually work with retailers and brands to ensure all
    of the offers, tools and facilities meet members’ needs and provide the best
    deals and biggest savings to members.

2. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Posted this at the same time as yourself in the Avios section. It's bad, bad news for me.

3. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yep - post just up. Very bad news indeed. It also makes me wonder what other changes Tesco might be making to Clubcard... I'm not optimistic.

4. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

I've already converted £50 this year. I've asked them on Twitter if they'd consider lifting the limit to allow me to convert the Nationwide bank switch cashback I earned back in January before they remove Tesco for good. I'm not hopeful but it can't hurt to ask...

5. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

Yes, a black day for hardcore TCB users/Tesco Clubcard convertors.

Ah well, with every shut door a new one opens (so they say). We just need to find it...

6. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

I think right now, it's probably getting a second job then booking cheap business class deals with hard cash!

JoeD likes this.
  7. tommyl

It's a fair point you make.

As things stand, if I didn't have two toddlers anchoring me somewhat (or at the very least largely precluding long-haul), I would be doing pretty much all my flying i) paying by cash ii) in Business Class iii) from Scandinavia iv) with Qatar.

8. Adam

Adam Active Member

Just read you can use Nectar points to redeem at Expedia. 2000 nectar converts to £10 off any bookings on expedia, there are many opportunities to make a good amount of nectar points regularly via your accounts coupons or mycoupons site / ebay. Someone used their points redeemed to expedia for a BA flight and got the avios points from the flight.

JoeD likes this.
  9. tommyl

Yep, good old, much-maligned Nectar. I honestly like Nectar, although few other people seem to. There's a bit of a "points hacker" snobbery around the fact that you can't generally vary the 0.5p value, but so what? You still get a minimum of 0.5p in value per point, and as you say there are various ways to stock up on them.

You can also earn Nectar points with Expedia. Plus you can of course earn and redeem Nectar points on EasyJet.

10. Adam

Adam Active Member

The only gripe it takes a he'll of lot of nectar points to get even a cheap flight. Can you use them part pay with cash?

11. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Yesterday I spoke to Matt, who handles TCB social media, to ask if they'd consider waiving the Tesco £50 limit in light of yesterday's news. I wasn't hopeful, but it couldn't hurt to ask. Alas, the answer was as I expected.

"...we have had a discussion internally in regards to the limit. Unfortunately as this is stipulated in the agreement of having Clubcard on site that members have the annual limit we are not able to waiver this for members."

At least they 'discussed it' rather than dismissing it out of hand.

So it looks like my £36.75 Nationwide cashback will soon become 3675 avios instead of 8820. Oh well!

12. tommyl

Yep - minimum number of Nectar points needed is 500, which gets you a £2.50 reduction on the flight. You can then pay the rest in cash: https://www.nectar.com/ways-to-redeem/rewards/easyjet

13. tommyl

Nice try. I'd imagine this is a pretty bitter blow to TCB as well, as clearly the Clubcard angle has been something that really set it apart from Quidco for example.

14. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to look into nectar and expedia - given the cheap Business Class fares (primarily Qatar, but not only) these days, and my preference for AA Miles (and others) rather than Avios/VIrgin these days, buying tickets with nectar and earning a chunk of Miles on top could be very interesting...

What are the best ways to get serious amounts of nectar points?

15. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

I notice this morning that TCB have restarted their Hummingbird competition (which I don't recommend) and are offering 20% Venere cashback plus an extra 3% with voucher code.

I'd rather have the Tesco option back!

16. tommyl

Shopping at Sainsburys!

eBay also a partner.

You can also get 20k bonus points with the Amex Nectar credit card: https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/nectar-credit-card/

17. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

I've just won 50p in their hummingbird competition. I think the prize allowance on the lower prizes tends to give out more early on, then ration it later, so if you're thinking of playing do so today

That 50p doesn't get me far on the avios "missed" long-term by not going via Tesco though :(

18. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

I spent huge amounts of time playing their game when it first showed up last year. After only four days I was one sweet short in every category. Despite another two months of searching, I never found another. Hence, I avoid those competitions like the plague now.

19. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

There's only a certain number of prizes in each category (details somewhere in the T&C), so once those have gone it stops giving out the winning sweets. I'd say play on the first 2 days, or don't bother - chances seem to drop off a cliff quite quickly as the prizes are claimed :/

20. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Email from Tesco:

"As a Tesco Clubcard customer who has earned points with TopCashback before, we wanted to let you know that the 31st July will be the last date that you will be able to exchange your TopCashback payouts for Clubcard points.
    Our relationship with TopCashback is coming to an end as part of the improvements we are making to the Tesco Clubcard scheme to make it simpler to understand and easier to use. We have heard from our customers that they want to grow their points balance faster, and get more value back from their usual shop, so we will be focusing on creating more ways customers can earn points at Tesco. Keep a look out for special opportunities to earn bonus points in store and online.
    There will be more news to follow, but if you have any questions please visit tesco.com/clubcard.
    Thank you for being a member of Tesco Clubcard.

Your Tesco Clubcard Team"