Refusal to offer compensation delayed luggage

Discussion in 'Questions, Announcements & Ideas' started by SorinB, Jan 11, 2016.

1. SorinB

SorinB New Member

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I need some expert advice.

I have traveled around Christmas, buying a ticket from Expedia, with a layover in Amsterdam. The first leg was operated by SAS, the second by TAROM.
    My luggage was delayed for my entire holiday, and I had to pick-it up the day I was flying back. So an entire Christmas holiday without luggage, in winter, having to do a decent shopping as even my winter jacket wasin that luggage. The 2 companies are denying any responsibility and any compensation, saying that I should have pick-up my luggage in Amsterdam and check it in again.

But this thing did not appear on my ticket, nor it was communicated at the check-in counter in Copenhagen (my departure point).

And since it was one ticket, I would assume that there is some kind of agreement between the 2 companies.

Does anyone have any input/recommendation? Any similar stories?

Thanks in advance,
    Sorin

2. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

When you checked in, they should have given you a baggage receipt. Normally they stick the 1 inch square receipts on the back of your boarding pass, or on the back of your passport. One per checked bag.

If you look at yours, how many lines of destinations does it have? Does it just have a single one for AMS? Or does it have two, one for AMS and a second for your final destination? That'll tell you if your bags were correctly checked + tagged through to your destination

If you bags were only tagged to AMS, then your complaint would need to be with whoever checked you in at Coperhagen airport. If the bags were tagged all the way through, then complain to the final carrier, as they have responsibility for lost baggage issues

As a general rule, but too late for you now, always check the baggage receipts you get when taking a connection, and ensure that they show the final destination. The very best time to resolve any issues is before the bags head off down the luggage shoot...

3. SorinB

SorinB New Member

Many thanks for the reply. Indeed the luggage was checked only until Amsterdam, and I didn't check the luggage tag. I just asked the staff at the check-in counter if my luggage is registered all the way to Bucharest, the end of my journey and he said yes.

I think I will make sure to check this at the counter from now on. But I still need to find a way to receive the compensation for the days I was without luggage, and it's annoying to see how SAS, who did the luggage check-in, are refusing that.

4. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Sadly, this is one of those things (like visas) for which airlines place all responsibility onto the passenger. They consider it your job to verify things are correct on the baggage receipts they give you. I find most checkin staff are pretty good, eg saying "just to be clear, as shown on this receipt, your bag is only going as far as London so you'll need to collect and re-check it there" or "your bags are tagged through to Madrid via London, see here the LHR then MAD"

You might find your travel insurance will help, but I suspect most won't as the bags were delivered on time to their tagged destination. SAS will likely point you at the appropriate bit of their conditions of carriage and that's it. I fear your best option might be to approach SAS for some sort of Goodwill compensation, but I can't see them offering any more as they'll feel it's your fault. (I know you see it as their fault, but that's not how they'll view it!)

5. tiribam

tiribam New Member

Hi, I had made a booking with Wizz air a few months ago for Austria, last minute the flight got cancelled and had to spend the whole night at the airport and got the next available flight. They're still refusing to give me a refund for all that l had been through.
    Any idea what l should do?

Thanks

6. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I would suggest giving Resolver a try - hopefully they can help get it sorted for you!: https://insideflyer.co.uk/2018/10/flight-claim-resolver-helps-free/

7. paorb156

paorb156 New Member

You should have stayed in a hotel and get a refund for this and any expensed involved (meals/transportation)