New Travel Hack Blog - 'Take me to the Points'

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Strategies' started by tcz8127, Nov 9, 2018.

1. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

Hi All

My name's Tim, I'm a bit obsessed with points and you may have seen me pop up on the forum from time to time!

I started a new blog a couple of weeks ago about my points exploits - a couple of which I've mentioned on here (like using Google Translate to write hotel reviews in German for Miles & More points!!)

Anyway, I'd love it if you'd pop by to take a look and maybe even follow by Twitter/Facebook or email if you find it interesting/useful.

Today's post is about how I used my wedding spend to generate enough points to pay for the honeymoon!

You can find it at: https://rewardpoints.home.blog

(PS I did get permission before posting!)

SteveBG and JoeD like this.
  2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Hope it goes well Tim! - always nice to see more voices in the UK points/miles sphere.

tcz8127 likes this.
  3. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

Thanks to all the people who've visited - I hope you found my posts useful.

4. fede

fede New Member

thank you!

5. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

Thank you for all the visits - according to my stats, 50 people have visited from insideflyer. This has helped me hit an amazing 1,000 views this week (in just week 3!).

For next week I've been invited to do a guest blog/feature for a ski website, I'll try to link it into this thread once (if?!) it runs!

JoeD likes this.
  6. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

7. Mrbentravels

Mrbentravels New Member

Great blog, keep it up!

tcz8127 likes this.
  8. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

Thanks for having a look - glad you liked it!

9. SteveBG

SteveBG New Member

Good blog Tim. I especially liked your honeymoon post, having just returned from the Conrad Algarve. My flights were Ryanair specials, Conrad booked with Honors points, upgraded with Honors status and car hire via Sixt with discount for Plantinum status (acquired via Honors status, via Best Western status).

JoeD and tcz8127 like this.
  10. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

Thanks Steve, really appreciated - sounds like you really made the best of that one! It's a fantastic hotel.

I'm still finding my feet with the blog, but getting a decent 150-200 views a day at the moment. I think I need to focus on the more personal articles like that one, rather than trying to do the impossible job of replicating Inside Flyer/Head for Points! For example I'm working on an Amex Shop Small article for this weekend which I'm hoping will feature a few of my local Shop Small businesses.

JoeD likes this.
  11. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Great effort!

12. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

The process of starting to write about points/miles is an interesting one - finding your writing style, your niche, how much you want to share about yourself, etc. On the one hand, clarity is absolutely paramount, but it still needs to be enjoyable to read, so personality/tone can be very important too.

Editing your own work can be difficult (it's so easy to miss your own typos!), but it makes a huge difference to the reader experience, so a friend/family member who can give things a glance before you hit 'post' is invaluable.

My main advice though is simply to always make sure you're enjoying what you're writing about - and the actual writing itself. It's a massive cliche, but it really is fundamental. Afterall, there are plenty of other enjoyable things to spend time doing and (good) blogging is more time consuming than I suspect most people assume it is.

Anyway - keep up the good work so far!

13. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

Thanks Joe - all very good points!

I think the personal light-hearted posts like the honeymoon one or the one about earning points through Google Translate hotel reviews ( https://rewardpoints.home.blog/2018/10/25/free-points-google-translate/ ) are the most fun.

I must admit, I throw a few of what I would call 'traffic generating' topics in there too though - there's no point doing it if no one reads it!

The Curve post has had the most interest - I'm really looking forward to running the Amex Shop Small one tomorrow though, as it was great to actually talk to the businesses who are benefitting from it.

JoeD likes this.
  14. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Looking forward to reading the amex shop small one!

tcz8127 likes this.
  15. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

JoeD likes this.
  16. paorb156

paorb156 New Member

As I am now starting doing this, your blog has been very informative!
    Especially the part about your honeymoon ;)

tcz8127 likes this.
  17. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

18. ApePat

ApePat New Member

Nice site, thanks!

19. mpricochi

mpricochi New Member

I found the AMEX platinum article really informative, I've recently got mine so I'm hoping I'll be part of the first category of travellers soon :D

20. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

Thank you

I've now had visits from over 160 people via the Inside Flyer forum, so thanks also to Joe for letting me share it here!

JoeD likes this.