Nectar to Expedia to EasyJet

Discussion in 'Budget bargains' started by tcz8127, Sep 23, 2018.

1. tcz8127

tcz8127 New Member

Hi

Just wanted to test the logic in my plan!

I tend to fly short haul from regional airports (mainly Bristol). Whilst long haul flights from London might hit 1p per Amex MR/Avios, most flights I'm looking at (e.g. booking EasyJet via Emirate Skywards) barely hit 0.4p - so typically I use points for hotels instead and get about 0.7-0.8p

However, yesterday I realised that the Amex Nectar gets 2 points per £, at 0.5p per point that's 1p per £ spent, which matches the Amex/Avios estimates So if I was to then convert these to Expedia vouchers via Nectar, in theory I could book any flight and get 1p per £ spent against both flight cost and taxes/fees. Not only this, but I'd also have complete flexibility on airline, without any fluctuations in value and a 20,000 nectar bonus on the new card (potentially also a referral bonus if I refer my wife).

I.e. 20,000 Nectar = £100 Expedia Voucher = £100 to directly spend against any Flight listed.

This seems too good to be true - have I missed something? Can a Nectar Expedia voucher be used for 100% of flight cost? Are flights more expensive via Expedia (didn't look like it when I checked some examples).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    JoeD likes this.
  2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I haven't ever looked closely at the Nectar card, but sounds right to me!

3. tcz8127

tcz8127 New Member

So I've looked at this further - it's doable, but:

- Booking fees can't be paid on the voucher (but I think taxes can)
    - Vouchers can't be used for one way flights.

If I can rack up enough Nectar, I think the consistent value of 1p per £ spent makes this a decent option.

JoeD likes this.
  4. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Cheers, good to know! You gonna take the plunge do you reckon?

5. tcz8127

tcz8127 New Member

Yeah, I'm actively spending on the Amex Nectar at the moment, because it was the highest value bonus I hadn't yet taken!