Multiple Room Bookings

Discussion in 'Hilton Honors' started by tcz8127, Oct 19, 2018.

1. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

For the first time since having Hilton Gold Status, I booked multiple rooms on my account. Three rooms at a Doubletree for myself and two colleagues.

On check in I was surprised that they treated all three rooms as gold status - so we all got an upgrade, complimentary breakfast, gold welcome letter. etc. On check out, they suggested (albeit hesitantly) that I'd receive points on all three rooms - although only one booking is now showing on my account and the points haven't updated.

Did we just get lucky with the status being applied to all rooms or is this fairly standard?

JoeD likes this.
  2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

It's one of those things where it's far from guaranteed, but pretty much always seems to happen in practice. Getting lounge access on multiple rooms as a Diamond is particularly nice!

3. Herman

Herman New Member

I am really curious how much you needed to spend (approximately) to get this Hilton Gold Status?

4. SteveBG

SteveBG New Member

It depends mainly on what country you live in. If you're a UK resident, the cheapest way would be via the Amex platinum (£450 pa). That gives you more than just HH Gold status - have a look on other forums here to see what benefits you get and also get swamped with referral links :)
    You used to be able to get gold via the UK hilton Barclaycard, but that's been stopped for new applicants.

Steve

JoeD likes this.
  5. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

As above, my Gold status comes from my Amex Platinum - £450/yr (equates to £37.50/month and can be cancelled at any point). When you consider that this status is just one of the benefits, I find for a semi-regular traveller it pays for itself. For example, if you were to fly and/or use a hotel every month, you'd likely earn that back in airport lounge access, upgraded rooms, free breakfast, etc...

I recently shared an article from my blog which highlighted how much I got in perks on just one trip: https://rewardpoints.home.blog/2018/11/09/travel-hack-honeymoon/

6. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

If you've got elite status with another hotel programme, you could status match across and keep hilton gold after just 4 stays (which should be fairly easy to do for ~£200 depending on where you live): https://insideflyer.co.uk/2018/07/p...-towards-hilton-honors-status-matchchallenge/

Sorry - edited to say 4, rather than 40!!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    SteveBG likes this.
  7. SteveBG

SteveBG New Member

Just to clarify Joe's post - that should be 40 nights, not 40 stays. You can keep Gold by (weirdly) completing 19 stays or 40 nights, or earning 75,000 base points.

In practice, that could be 19 one night stays, 8 x 5 night stays or a week in the Conrad Maldives...

Steve

JoeD likes this.
  8. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Cheers Steve! Haha, I actually meant 4 rather than 40!!! Not sure what happened there...

9. tcz8127

tcz8127 Member

If you have Amex Platinum, and get hotel status via that, as I understand if you cancel the card the hotel status doesn't get cancelled immediately (but the Priority Pass for airport lounge access does).

Does anyone know how long the hotel status runs? Is it to the end of the calendar year, or to the end of what would have been your card renewal year? I guess it may also vary by hotel scheme?

10. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

It's exactly the same as if you had earned the status from stays, so it varies a little bit. Hilton, for example, can actually be about 2 years, depending on which month you get status.