Most Useless Individual Accelerate Challenge Item

Discussion in 'IHG Rewards Club' started by GnarlyOldGoatDude, Dec 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GnarlyOldGoatDude

GnarlyOldGoatDude Active Member

I'm not talking about your overall package....rather I want to focus on individual items.

My current, hugely uninspiring and, to be honest, demotivating item is:

Eat, Drink and Earn
    Spend $110 on food or beverages at IHG hotels and earn 800 bonus points.

My overall package is rubbish, but that really takes the biscuit (and wants you to pay $110 for it.)

Lionell, litefoot and JoeD like this.
  2. Lionell

Lionell Member Staff Member

Yeah I had that in my 2016 Accelerate promo. I ended up resolving it by having drinks with friends in the hotel bar and picking up the total bill. And friends paid me in cash.

3. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yeah, mine was only $50ish I think, so I just had a few drinks and an extremely overpriced breakfast I think.

4. GnarlyOldGoatDude

If only I had friends!
    I need to 1) stay once, 2) stay 5 nights and 3) this ($110 food) to achieve 41000. Based on how I use hotels there's no point me even starting.

Lionell likes this.
  5. Lionell

Lionell Member Staff Member

This is my current offer, I'll be completing everything except a 4 day stay.
    Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 14.38.01.png

GnarlyOldGoatDude likes this.
  6. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Not bad - mine is basically a slightly less lucrative version without the ambassador requirement

Lionell likes this.
  7. Ian

Ian Active Member

I've got the 4 night stay target too, and I think I had that last year. Thankfully, like last year, I'm off to Berlin for a week long conference in a couple of weeks. Interestingly, I got the IHG customer care folks to associate the rooms booked for 2 of my colleagues with my IHG account. Any thoughts on if I get the points and nights credit for those? i.e. 3 rooms/night simultaneously? If so, that also ticks off my stay 9 nights requirement, and if I charge everyone's meals and drinks to my room, should do the $220 food spend.

8. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

Unless I am missing something (and please help me if I am), my Accelerate progress makes no sense.

It is as follows:

[​IMG]

So they're accepting that I've completed one night (of five) for the purposes of the 7,500 bonus, but that doesn't qualify as one night (of one) for the 2,000 bonus. I don't follow...

9. Ian

Ian Active Member

You mean like this:
    accelerate_snafu.jpg
    I also spent on food during that stay, and that doesn't show any progress either. I'm going to be patient, and see if it sorts itself out in a couple of weeks.

Maybe IHG think we should be grateful that the Accelerate portal is at least working again (sort of!)?

10. Ian

Ian Active Member

It's a bit of a shame, I was looking forward to selling my house, if I had completed all tasks for the reward they were promising a couple of weeks ago:
    accelerate.jpg
    That should see out my lifetime!

JoeD likes this.
  11. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I don't think you are supposed to get the night credits for those (I do usually get the Points though if it's all part of same reservation and you take care of the bill). That said, this is IHG IT - I've definitely had stranger things happen (the best was when they credited an extra free night certificate for no particular reason!) so worth a try.

12. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Haha, IHG strikes again. It will either work itself out or it won't. If you chase stuff up you normally just get fobbed off until after the end of the promo.

13. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Obviously do chase it up after the promo though.

14. Ian

Ian Active Member

My 2,000 points have now posted for the "Stay Once", and I also see I am 6% into my spend $220 for another massive 2,000 points.

15. GnarlyOldGoatDude

So let's do the Lionell trick of inviting friends around for drinks at your next stay/mattress run.

Ian likes this.
  16. Ian

Ian Active Member

While your suggestion of me spending $200 on drinks for other people, in order to gain 2,000 IHG points is a bold one, I'm going to say no. :)

JoeD likes this.
  17. GnarlyOldGoatDude

I'll go halves on my own drink!

JoeD likes this.
  18. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

I often get the ridiculous amount of food spend target. Serves me right for once having a 12-night reward stay in the middle of nowhere, so we had to pay for hotel breakfast. At least it's cumulative...

I also often get the "sign up for the credit card" even though I've been declined more than once.

When I get both I have to sit out the Accelerate trimester...

19. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Ouch. Good to hear it's cumulative though, I don't think I ever noticed that!

20. Ian

Ian Active Member

I thought I had it all figured out last week. 6 of us eating in Hotel Indigo in Berlin, and I offered to sign it to my room only for my boss to insist he had to (for compliance reasons!)

Anxiously waiting to see if the 2 rooms I credited to my IHG account will both count towards my stay target of 9 nights. I will tick off the single stay of 4 nights, though.
    I don't think I could ever justify / get away with the "Book one bonus points stay" though. Pay an extra £10 on top of flexible rate for 1,000 points. That's going to go down well on my expense claim!

JoeD likes this.