Madrid's "Heathrow Rewards"

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by GnarlyOldGoatDude, Jun 6, 2016.

1. GnarlyOldGoatDude

GnarlyOldGoatDude Active Member

I notice from the latest Iberia mailer that you are able to earn 3 Avios per Euro spent in Madrid's T4.

World Duty Free
    Turn your Duty Free shopping into Avios

Madrid Duty Free presents an exclusive deal for Iberia Plus members: shop tax free in Madrid T4 and collect Avios. Shop at Madrid World Duty Free and earn 3 Avios per 1 Euro spent.

Flying to or from Madrid Terminal 4? Make sure you take some time to stop and shop on your favourite brands and earn Avios at the same time.

Until 31 October 2016, shop on any of the selected Duty free stores in T4 of Madrid airport and, not only you will shop tax free, but also your purchases will get you closer to your next trip by accumulating the Avios you need.

Don’t forget to present your Iberia Plus card number when making the payment in stores.

I also see that they are offering double miles or 15% off fares on their new route to Jo'burg and double miles for San Juan, Puerto Rico.

I hope that helps someone.

Gagravarr and tommyl like this.
  2. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

It will help me as I fly there in July, thanks GOGD.

3. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Good find.

I have a look around the Iberia Plus store for free avio offers. One or two offer thousands of avios for a purchase, but usually for mobile phone contracts.

4. GnarlyOldGoatDude

Are you Vuelinging?

5. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

Sorry missed this - yes I am indeed, so will reap about 4 Avios for the flight too.

GnarlyOldGoatDude likes this.
  6. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

I am assuming that sentence has something missing!

7. GnarlyOldGoatDude

Well, that seems to be the correct rate.

8. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Four avios for one flight? :)

9. GnarlyOldGoatDude

When it's a Vueling flight at low rates, sometimes you get no meaningful miles at all (in fact Vueling run their own Punto programme which are not transferrable to Avios.)

You can instead opt to earn Avios, but these flights fall into a different price bracket. These Avios would tend to be ones of an Iberian flavour. As I understand it, you can only earn BA Avios on a Vueling flight if it is booked under an IB number and if it is to/from the UK.

A flight from Malta to Barcelona, for example restricts you to Vueling Puntos or Iberia Avios. I think the going rate is 209 Avios for the 834 mile flight.

4 Avios was an exaggeration (or whatever the opposite of that is). However, the earning rate is paltry at best.