Just short of enough XP for silver...

Discussion in 'Flying Blue' started by Tcworldwide, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Tcworldwide

Tcworldwide New Member

I currently have 74 xp expiring end of April 2019.

I'm about to take a flight this evening which will put me up to 89 XP.

I'm not sure I'll be taking another qualifying flight before the XP expiry date. Most likely would be a short european thing which would get me 5xp each way.. putting me to 99... 1 short of the 100 needed for Silver...

Or... I could maybe spend £45 ish to upgrade the short leg of the flight I'm about to take to business. Also giving me 99.. 1 short..

Or I fly premium economy or business on a short haul trip later (despite really not being worth cost for such a short flight) which would put me safely over 100, but be a bit of a waste of money.

If I was at 99 how likely would I be able to call them and persuade them to bump me up anyway do you think? I fly long haul for work around 3 times a year, plus a personal trip if it's a route I want...

JoeD likes this.
  2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I don't have much personal experience with Flying Blue, so hopefully someone else can chip in some thoughts.

I think what I would do though, is pay the £45 to upgrade now if that would take you to 99, then give them a call about bumping you up. If they say no, you could then have time to decide whether you want to take another quick weekend trip or not to put you over 100.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  3. Tcworldwide

Tcworldwide New Member

Thanks.. I'm waiting around at a hotel with nothing to do and have been mulling this over. I think I'm just going to hope that work sends me on another trip that will qualify before the deadline, anything they did send me on would put me over 100 with plenty to spare. I'm not really sure that the extra miles I'd earn through silver (6 per € instead of 4 per €) would really be worth the extra £ it would cost me personally in flights / upgrades.

4. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Tcworldwide likes this.
  5. schen

schen New Member

I wouldn't rely on the upgrades to get my FB status. According the terms and conditions, if you buy economy class ticket and then get a deal on a business upgrade, the XP points you will earn will be according the initial ticket.

2 Earning Miles

2.8 In case of upgrades, XP and/or Miles will be awarded based on the initial purchased fare and not on the actual class of service flown.

JoeD likes this.