Is it over for Curve?

Discussion in 'Miles & points via credit cards' started by JoeD, May 24, 2016.

1. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

britabroad likes this.
  2. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

I'm afraid to say I think your doom and gloom predictions are probably bang on.

A shame if so, but this one definitely had an air of the "too good to be true" about it.

3. britabroad

britabroad New Member

I really think it is game over too, that email from the CEO was very clear to me. Oh well it was fun while it lasted :)

SeanD likes this.
  4. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

It's a shame, but given all the issues of late I can't say I'm that surprised. Wouldn't take very many people ringing Amex for help, either because there's no Curve phone number or because they don't want to email Curve, for Amex to feel there's too many problems to bother with. (I've always emailed Curve about my many issues, but to start with their responses weren't that good. Slightly better now)

Right now, my biggest two issues are pre-authorisations, and the lack of anything other than "CURVE LONDON" on my statements. Given the pre-auth issue (more on that below), the generic statement name means it's a nightmare to work out if a given pre-auth charge has been refunded or not when they all have the same name on a statement.

Pre-auths - I would have expected a hotel pre-auth to be matched by a pre-auth on my underlying card. I really don't expect it to turn up as a real charge on my underlying card, then be refunded a week or two later with no easy way to match it, but that's what happens! I'd expect the app to show these clearly as a pre-auth, and then either have them vanish, or otherwise linked with the final transaction when it goes through. Having a one night hotel stay turn into 3 transactions, 2 of which are later refunded, is a very bad user experience. Especially when it's so hard to work out what is what on your statement...

The way that the double Amex charges was handled was good, I'll give them that. The way that the online purchase issues was handled was not - having to email several times to get them to refund a charge they'd declined but still charged to my card was poor. The way that they introduced the £200 limit against what their T&C said, then backtracked for the early adopters when their own rules were pointed out, isn't great. Stating on your website that the card uses "MasterCard wholesale rate plus 1%", then the CEO in his email saying "zero FX fees when you travel" in your email makes me worry that either the CEO doesn't know their
    own product, or is being misleading, neither inspires me...

I'll probably keep my curve, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to people who don't keep good records and who are willing to put up with a lot of issues!

5. Adam

Adam Active Member

TBH did we really think Curve would keep all the promises made? Firstly it was stated you could withdrawl £200 a day at any atm, this changed then lots of issues with online transactions and now amex have pulled out of the agreement.
    You can still use Curve and Amex until the date on the email so keep it until this date expires and everyone on the £35 card do get their money back in a credit so not all bad.

6. GnarlyOldGoatDude

GnarlyOldGoatDude Active Member

I'm still in. Although I had it linked to 2 Amex's and my IHG Visa, I will now re-point it at my bmi MasterCard.

I haven't abused my card in any way, but was about to start benefitting from it when I returned to my family in Malta. They live there, but mainly use UK cards so incur a 3% charge each time. This will still save us money, but the plan was to keep it pointed at the Amexes.

Now I'm not sure if it worth the effort to get a new card issued in their names.

7. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Wouldn't it be better to get them something like a Halifax Clarity? No overseas fees, no cash withdrawl fees (though interest starts accruing), and a mastercard so better rates. No points, but still, no 3+% fees...

GnarlyOldGoatDude likes this.
  8. GnarlyOldGoatDude

GnarlyOldGoatDude Active Member

Theoretically, yes.

The missing factor is that would be another credit card with more credit checks etc.
    Curve isn't.

9. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

MSE is my general go-to for comparing cards, especially for overseas stuff. They have a good listing of the best debit cards for overseas spending and
    pre-paid travel cards - I'd suggest pointing the family at those guides!

10. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

So, with the Travelex Supercard having died on Monday (*sniff*), and the £1000 spend via Visa to get my fee back in mythical unicorn coins (aka loyalty points) looking possible, I've been using the curve again in the last few days. New app version seems good, I sent them an email 20 minutes ago about a transaction from last month and I've already had 3 replies! (First one solved my issue, second two were about some app issues I spotted reporting the first one...) So, while the Amex loss is most annoying, they appear to be delivering some pretty epic support, especially at midnight :)