IHG Points & Cash

Discussion in 'IHG Rewards Club' started by Michsel, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Michsel

Michsel New Member

New travel hacker here !

Trying to figure out the best way for me to book 3 days away in a IHG crowne plaza (have gold status)
    Anyone willing to help me with the calculations ? Not sure if I should redeem only with points or points and cash ? I currently have 38000 points

Thanks!

2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Completely depends on what the normal cash rates each night are. For example, if there was a cheap Sunday night, it would be a waste to use points or points+cash for that, whereas for an expensive saturday using points could save you some serious cash.

38,000 is unlikely to get you 3 nights in a crowne plaza by itself these days (though not impossible, depending on where you're going).

Can you let me know what the normal points price is per night, and what the cash price is for each of the 3 nights (not the total - for each night if you booked them separately)?

3. Michsel

Michsel New Member

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, it's a 30000 per night crowne plaza that I've stayed at previously. Really just seeing what would be better value for money - use points to pay for one night (other two with cash on separate reservation) or partial payment for 2 nights with points.

Options available:

£181 per night with advanced saver rate
    15,000 points plus £66 per night
    Or one night for 30000

Thanks !
    Michael

4. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

No worries!

If the cash rate each night is £181, using Points is definitely a good idea.

The question is whether to do one night on all points or 2 points+cash as you suggest.

if you paid full points for one night and full cash the next, your total outlay would be £181 + 30,000 points

If you did 2 points+cash nights instead, your total outlay would be £132 + 30,000.

Therefore, choosing points+cash for 2 nights, would work out £49 cheaper overall this time.

CraigS likes this.
  5. CraigS

CraigS Member

Unless you urgently need to book, you might want to wait until the next promotion comes along from IHG, selling points with a 100% bonus. You would then be able to buy whatever points you need at 0.5 US cents each, which is going to be cheaper than the £66 for 15,000 points you'd spend as part of Points + Cash.

It's worth highlighting that "Points + Cash" means you actually pay up front to buy points. If you cancel later you don't get your cash back, just more points.

JoeD likes this.
  6. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Good point - also made me think it could be worth using the old points+cash refund 'trick' in this case to cover the 3rd night too? (If Michael can't wait for the next points sale)

7. CraigS

CraigS Member

One of my favourite tricks... back when there was real value in IHG. :mad:

Admittedly I don't look too closely, but it seems to me like it is much harder to find those hotels with the "super cheap" P+C. Everything now seems to be local currency, highly variable. Presumably to confuse people into seeing it as a discount on the room rate rather than just buying points...

8. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yeah, definitely seems more variable now - I haven't looked properly in ages (as you say, IHG Points aren't as useful as they once were), but I wonder if that variety might actually present opportunities...

9. Oarar80

Oarar80 New Member

The IHG Premium Credit Card is great for Crowne Plaza's as they have special rooms for Platinum members

10. Sharat

Sharat New Member

Thanks for this tip, wasnt aware.
    Also can you confirm if IHG Premium Credit Card elite status entitles you to get a free night if you book 4 reward nights?

11. CraigS

CraigS Member

I think that's the American version, not the UK credit card.

12. CraigS

CraigS Member

Not in my experience. Sometimes a Platinum gets upgraded at a Crowne Plaza, but often not. In fact, many times I've been told by a CP front desk clerk that "we've upgraded you" only to discover I'm basically in the same room, except I get a bathrobe and a bottle of water. (but no lounge, breakfast, etc. that i actually would value)