Hilton status match and health problems: any flexibility on time limit likely?

Discussion in 'Hilton Honors' started by FlyingScot, Nov 15, 2019.

1. FlyingScot

FlyingScot Member

I applied for a status match to gold, but won't meet the stay requirements - partly due to my partner needing urgent surgery. Think there's any chance of Hilton bring flexible here (I could evidence this, of course), or am I as well to save my time? Thanks!

2. CraigS

CraigS Member

I doubt it. You'd have a better chance asking for flexibility on the standard year-long qualification criteria (still slim chances of success) but I can't see that they would extend a fast track challenge for you.

Can't hurt to ask though...

3. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

My view on this sort of stuff is that it never hurts to ask. I'm not sure whether agents even have the ability to an extend the status period on a challenge, but if you got through to someone kind and helpful (such agents do exist!) they might be able to come up with something.

In my experience, Hilton agents tend to have a bit more flexibility/knowledge than some other hotel programmes.

4. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

They extended a Diamond challenge for me. I think it was for around an extra month. I didn't have any particular justification to ask for the extension but they agreed to it without any trouble.

JoeD likes this.
  5. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Great to know - cheers Andrew!

6. FlyingScot

FlyingScot Member

Thanks for the replies - sadly, they didn't offer me any extension :( Don't know if there's any point in phoning rather than emailing to ask, or just chalk it down to sod's law... I've found gold status surprisingly useful, but would need an extra 5 nights stay to qualify - even the cheaper Hilton group hotels round here are about £40/night. I'm guessing there's no easy/cheap way to meet the requirements?

Anyway, the main thing is my partner's recovering well :)

CraigS likes this.
  7. CraigS

CraigS Member

I would argue that Gold is easily worth £200, so you might just want to do the mattress runs anyhow...

8. FlyingScot

FlyingScot Member

Thanks. Hm - I've not previously used Hilton chain hotels that much (round here and where I end up travelling, there are normally cheaper/better options). They have recently opened a very nice place nearby though and had some good prices locally.

If I use the MVP fast track I could at least qualify with nights away at times when I do want to travel. But would that make it much harder for me to requalify

Also - part of me wants to say sod Hilton - given their inflexibility in the circumstances :) They've no obligation to status match anyone, of course, but it's not like I've been traveling less due to a cold!

9. CraigS

CraigS Member

I wouldn't focus on that too much. When exceptions are made - no matter how valid the reasoning - then word gets around (InsideFlyer is as guilty as anybody about circulating news of loopholes and "travel hacks") and everybody wants an exception for some reason or another. Once everybody asks for and receives exceptions (or complains bitterly on social media for not getting their way) then the whole thing collapses and the status match policy will be taken away. Published rules that the companies stick to are generally to our benefit...

MVP is certainly a valid option, especially doing it in early 2020 to probably get Gold for all of 2020 and 2021 out of it. And the next time you request a status match and Hilton say "you've already had one" you could then reply with details of your partner's health issues during the first one and see if they'll give you another shot.

10. FlyingScot

FlyingScot Member

Thanks! Sounds like a plan... If I start it late this year and complete it early 2020, would that work? I'll likely be going somewhere in December anyway...

11. CraigS

CraigS Member

Successfully completing a challenge usually results in you getting status for the rest of the current calendar year and all of the next. So the important thing is completion date (rather than starting date).

However, if your status expiry doesn't update correctly after completing the MVP challenge, you might find that an agent will dig out a T&C clause to limit you to status for 2020 only. Starting the process during 2019 will make this outcome more likely.

FWIW my Gold status will end on 31 March 2020 and I plan to apply for MVP at some point after that - once I can pencil in the necessary stays - but since I would complete in May/June at the earliest, it's far more likely to successfully get me status through 2021 as well...

12. FlyingScot

FlyingScot Member

Thanks! So, according to the T&C's, I'd need to complete the MVP after March 2020 to get 2021 gold status? But the later I start and complete this the lower my chance of having problems?

13. Jay

Jay New Member

Yes then you will keep it for the rest of the calendar year, all of the next, then to march the year after

14. FlyingScot

FlyingScot Member

15. Ross

Ross New Member

16. Ross

Ross New Member

I recently applied for their SPORTS promotion before the Covid lockdown: 4 stays in 90 days so I could get my gold back. However last week I received a fanstastic letter from their CEO. They are now giving us 12+MONTHS EXTENSIONS FOR ALL LOYALTY MEMBERS, AND FULL FLEXIBILITY AND HONOR OF BOOKINGS! This is the most generous and best response I have seen from any loyalty program.
    While earning points is not as generous as other hotel programs, and missing points is a recurring issue, I love their free breakfasts on the lowest diamond and gold member rates. This PR will always keep me coming back to Hilton.

JoeD likes this.
  17. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yep, Hilton's response has been impressive and first out the blocks too. I was days away from losing Diamond but now have it for another year (assuming there's chance to use it!).

18. Danish

Danish New Member

learning is good, than you so mch