Hilton HHonors Q1 2016 promotion - double points or double miles

Discussion in 'Hilton Honors' started by Gagravarr, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Some times you don't find out what the hotel promotions will be for a season/quarter until it has already started, which can be rather annoying if you like to plan your trips ahead. For Q1 2016 it looks like we're all lucky, as most hotel chains have announced theirs, with Hilton now no exception!

From 1st January to the 30th of April, you can either earn Double Miles or Double Points, the choice is yours. You need to head to https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/4480_01012016/dyhamex?lang=EN to make your selection, which should happen before your first stay of next year

Which to pick though? As with previous Hilton HHonors promotions of this type, only base HHonors points will be doubled if you pick Double Points, that's the 10 points per qualifying USD spent. Status bonuses aren't doubled, and nor are the extra 5 points per USD if you pick Points+Points as your double dip "MyWay Earning Style" preference. If you pick Double Miles, you need to have your "MyWay Earning Style" set to Points+Miles, otherwise you'll have nothing to double! On a short $100 stay, you could earn (excluding status bonuses etc) 2,500 HHonors points and 0 miles with Points+Points and Double Points, or 1,000 HHonors points and 200 miles with Points+Miles and Double Miles with most airline partners. (See http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-use-points/travel/earning/index.html for the per-airline earning rates). The points option is likely more valuable for most people, but it will depend on what you want to use the points or miles for, so have a think!

If you need to change which airline you credit your Points+Miles to, or to swap between Points+Miles and Points+Points, log into your HHonors account, then under "My Profile" pick "Preferences" then scroll down to "MyWay Earning Style Preferences" and "Preferred Travel Partners". Also, don't forget that you earn more Avios if you credit to Iberia rather than BA!

2. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

Always, always the double points for me. I find HHonors points better value than many give them credit for, and given the relative earning rates, I'd have to be gasping for miles to sign up to the double miles offer.

3. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

If you signed up for this promotion when first announced, you might want to go back to the site and check it still sees you as registered

I signed up just before making my post on the 17th, but Hilton are now claiming that I'm not registered after all, and hence are refusing to give me double points for my stay on the 3rd of January :(

4. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

Thanks Gagravarr - I verified my sign up and it seems all good:

[​IMG]

However in light of your experience, worth everyone doing the same. If I were you I would also seriously badger HHonors to honour your initial registration, it's very poor if you suffer as a result of their technical failings. Needless to say any Hilton status you have should help.

5. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

I always take screenshots of IHG promotion signups + full details, as I've had those mysteriously change mid-promotion before, with IHG claiming no knowledge of the change until I prove it. SPG are very good about confirming registration by email and optionally SMS. Hilton have been fine before, but maybe I need to add them to the "always screenshot" list...

6. bboo

bboo New Member

thanks for the info guys