Has anyone had Amex Platinum Cashback and Amex Platinum personal at the same time?

Discussion in 'Manufactured spend' started by cinereus, Nov 6, 2019.

1. cinereus

cinereus Member

I had an offer on my Gold card on online banking to upgrade to Platinum for 20k points even though I evidently don't meet any two year criterion.

However I wanted to ensure I was approved for the much more valuable Platinum cashback before I took this offer. However, once I activated my Platinum cashback the offer disappeared from my account.

Will Amex approve me if I apply for a normal Platinum whilst already having the cashback version? And does anyone have any experience whether it's worth waiting to see if the 20k promo comes back or just best to write it off?

2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Interesting re the offer being removed. As far as I'm aware, the Plat and the Plat Cashback are completely different product 'families' (the fact they even call the cashback cards Platinum has always struck me as unnecessarily confusing) so there shouldn't be any direct conflict there. That said, there are theoretical limits to how many Amex cards you can have at one time - although I know of plenty of exceptions to those supposed limits.

If you are at all concerned about being accepted based on something like the above, I'd just give them a call to make sure you've got a green light. I'd also mention the 20k offer at the same time and see if they can still see/offer it from their end.

3. cinereus

cinereus Member

Already called and they confirmed it's not active on my account but that I'm theoretically approved for regular Platinum.

That's why I was hoping for some input. I'd mentioned the deal to them on the phone before but they didn't seem super sure then either.

JoeD likes this.