Easy ways of gaining status - airline and hotels

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Strategies' started by NewbieTrav, Nov 2, 2015.

1. NewbieTrav

NewbieTrav New Member

As my name may suggest, I am very new to the "loyalty travel" game, having only recently got excited about it through a massive result on my BA Amex card (loads of Avios for a spend I was going to make anyway... plus cashback).

Given that it increasingly appeals to me, any quick tips for gaining status with airlines or hotels? Best shortcuts etc? Any direct links to boosted status?

Any help much appreciated.

2. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

3. GnarlyOldGoatDude

GnarlyOldGoatDude Active Member

Remember, although status is normally nice (and most trips will be enhanced by having a card of a precious metal hue), sometimes there are better solutions. I too have been sucked in to the game of chasing statuses, but when I look back, the mileage and mattress runs that I've done did not always make financial sense when I look at the travel I did in the next year. i.e. my job changed, so I'd chased status the previous year with no need for status in the current one.

Of course, hindsight is wonderful, and if you are not too worried about a few mis-steps and you enjoy the experience of the hunt, it is probably still worth it....especially if you can find fast track offers like the one for Hilton Gold.

SeanD and tommyl like this.
  4. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

Wise words.

You can of course easily become a slave to status, too. I love my Hilton Gold status, which I got "the easy way". However there's little doubt that it now holds me captive, forever seeking Hilton hotels and Hilton offers with a definite loss of objectivity.

SeanD likes this.
  5. SeanD

SeanD New Member

There's the Starwood Gold/Platinum challenge:

Email [email protected] to request it.

Then...

Thank you for contacting Platinum Liaison regarding your interest in the Gold and Platinum Status Challenge promotions. I am pleased to assist.

We are thrilled that you are considering making Starwood hotels your home away from home when you travel. Upon review of your Starwood Preferred Guest account, I do see that you are eligible for registration in both challenges. To register, please reply to this email to confirm whether you would like to participate in the Gold Status Challenge, the Platinum Status Challenge or both and which consecutive three-month earning period you would like to enroll in.

Available earning periods for enrollment in the month of October are: September 1st to November 30th, 2015; October 1st to December 31st, 2015; and November 1st, 2015 to January 31st, 2016.

Once registered, simply stay nine eligible nights for Gold and/or 18 eligible nights for Platinum within the three-month period you have selected, and your account will be upgraded within eight days of your last required eligible night posting to your account.

Only paid nights, booked at an eligible Starpoints-earning room rate, are valid toward this promotion. SPG Free Night Award and Cash & Points Award nights do not count toward this offer, nor do reservations booked through any third-party sources. When you have multiple rooms at an eligible rate, when you stay in one room and pay for all of the rooms, you will earn credit for up to three rooms at one time.

I look forward to your response and to enrolling you in our Gold and Platinum Status Challenge promotions. In the meantime Mr. Sean, if there is anything further I can assist you with; please do not hesitate to contact me.

6. bboo

bboo New Member

cool thanks!

7. Blitzz

Blitzz New Member

Interesting.

8. Adisa

Adisa New Member

Good tips, thank you!

9. Loobc

Loobc New Member

Thanks for the tips!