Dublin USA Pre clearance - opinions and experiences please

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Strategies' started by johnbrowell, Jul 4, 2019.

1. johnbrowell

johnbrowell Active Member

Might be booking a family trip to east coast USA in May next year. Having done it a few years ago without any kids, the USA entry was a nightmare - time consuming and boring. So having heard about pre-clearance flying from Dublin I wanted to ask if any of you have done that, and how you found it.

Thanks in advance.

2. CraigS

CraigS Member

A lot depends on which American airport you are arriving to and whether it is a direct flight for you. Many of the major airports now let ESTA holders use the passport scan machines, which speeds up the process immensely.

But if you are connecting, it absolutely makes sense to do it in Dublin instead of London and get customs/passport control done during your layover... It's not going to be a whole lot more enjoyable in Dublin vs. the US though.

johnbrowell likes this.
  3. johnbrowell

johnbrowell Active Member

Craig it would be one of the New York airports. When I last visited the USA I flew into Boston and had an ESTA but still had to queue for what seemed like hours. But I'll take your advice and probably stick to getting a direct flight without positioning via Dublin. Would be a lot more choice that way.

4. shawnsteven9104

shawnsteven9104 New Member

Well I m also waiting for the experience

5. shawnsteven9104

shawnsteven9104 New Member

What is your experience? can you share it ?