Can anyone justify having both Amex Platinum and BA Premium Plus cards ?

Discussion in 'Miles & points via credit cards' started by johnbrowell, Sep 2, 2021.

1. johnbrowell

johnbrowell Active Member

Important question, as I am coming up to the 2 year anniversary of when I cancelled my Amex Gold card, so will be eligible for sign up bonuses again. I've seen a lot of posts on here and HFP about the benefits of the Platinum card, weighed against the annual fee. I am tempted. Even if it's just for the welcome points and then cancel for a pro rata refund.

I also currently have the BA Premium Plus avios card, as I've been working on collecting 241 vouchers, unused as yet due to Covid.

So, could I justify paying the annual fees for both cards and maintaining both ? I'm after opinions from anyone else, while I do some more research myself.

Thanks in advance.

2. Greg

Greg New Member

It depends...

For the Amex Platinum: do you travel a lot and so will you benefit from all the perks that come with it. I think of it more as a membership card that gives me those benefits and I never even spend on it.

For the BA Premium Plus, will you hit the required spend to get the voucher? If so it's a no brainer as it negates the fee especially if you use it wisely.

My point is to look at each card individually, even aside from the sign up bonus. Is each individual card worth it, separate from each other?

Having said this, if you haven't signed up yet you can use my link to get 70k bonus points instead of the usual (I think 50k):

http://amex.co.uk/refer/gREgOSPFcL?XLINK=MYCP

Let me know if you need any more help!

3. johnbrowell

johnbrowell Active Member

Thanks for your reply Greg. I wasn't travelling a lot, but this year I have 3 overseas trips planned, and a UK trip. I do now have both cards, and so far have extracted value of £250 from offers, to offset the Platinum fee.
    The Platinum insurance says that you are covered "from the moment you book with your card" so I had taken that to mean that I had to pay for the trips with Platinum to be covered. Have to admit that I've not read the small print or asked on live chat yet.