Best way to use points to get to Canada

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Strategies' started by Pointsmeanprizes, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Pointsmeanprizes

Pointsmeanprizes New Member

Hi,

I'm new to all this forum posts so forgive me if I am being stupid.

Can anyone advise what the best way to use points and miles to get to Canada is? I've got a family wedding next year in July and want to do it as cheap as possible. I have over 50k Avios from credit card promos and over 50k from moving my holiday inn points. I've only ever used Avios in Europe with the reward flight option and the taxes for using it to Canda seem high and was wondering if I was missing anything?

Cheers

JoeD likes this.
  2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Hi Points - first of all welcome to InsideFlyer UK!

Secondly, there really is no such a thing as a stupid question here - only stupid answers (on occasion - and usually my own).

The 'best' way is obviously pretty subjective, but with a bit more info we should be able to offer some suggestions: Which part of Canada are you heading to, how flexible are your dates, and how amenable are you to connecting vs flying direct (if it saves money/Points).

3. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

Unfortunately trading 10,000 IHG points for 2,000 Avios isn't a particularly good deal at all, especially since BA will charge a substantial amount in surcharges.

There is very little you can do to reduce the cost of reaching Canada using Avios. If you're going to Toronto, I believe you have the option of flying on Aer Lingus via Dublin on separate tickets.

Otherwise, you would have to do something that sounds completely crazy... book using Avios from Dublin or Copenhagen to your Canadian destination, with a connection in London. You then need to make you own way to your chosen departure airport. (you can't just show up at Heathrow) The amount that BA charges is much lower.

But to be honest... save your Avios for the future and keep an eye on fare sales, etc. to get to Canada...

4. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

All good points - I was thinking perhaps something along the lines of getting an ultra cheap Norwegian/Wow/etc flight to basically anywhere in USA/Canada and Avios/cheap flight from there to actual destination.

FlyingPiggie likes this.
  5. Pointsmeanprizes

Pointsmeanprizes New Member

Excellent, thank you all for comments. Hadn't thought about the internal flights and tagging on a few other places. Cheers

JoeD likes this.
  6. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

There aren't actually a lot of "cheap flights" within Canada and AA reward availability is non-existent. You're more likely to find a cheap flight from Gatwick on Air Transat or Westjet.

JoeD and Pointsmeanprizes like this.
  7. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

It all depends on your style of travel really. Personally, I actively seek out (long, preferably overnight) connections as opportunities to quickly check out a new city en route to my actual destination, but others can find it tiring and stressful.

FlyingPiggie likes this.
  8. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yeah, often decent prices available on them. is the AA domestic/NA availability still dreadful? I haven't looked for a while, but have actually always been pretty lucky in the past.

9. BannerJohn

BannerJohn Member

I know it's tempting, but I agree that moving IHG or any hotel points you have accrued into Avios is a last resort in terms of value. If you can, better to redeem in the programme you earned in and wait for sales in Avios redemptions. Easier said than done I realise!

JoeD likes this.
  10. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

It can definitely make sense sometimes for other airline miles (AA, Alaska, etc), but Avios are so (relatively) easy to earn or to acquire fairly cheaply ~1p, that I'd rarely recommend it no matter how tempting!