Best value redemptions to Australia and New Zealand

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Strategies' started by JoeD, May 23, 2017.

1. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Both Australia and New Zealand are obviously very popular destinations, but can be pricey whether using cash or Miles / Avios. I was wondering if anyone had any particularly good redemptions up their sleeves?

I'm going to share my opening gambit in the morning!

FlyingPiggie likes this.
  2. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

Nothing beyond what I posted in the reward chart series. Hopefully you've found something weird and wonderful like positioning to Kiev and flying via Vladivostok! :p

JoeD likes this.
  3. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

4. Lionell

Lionell Member Staff Member

Last year I booked Air New Zealand biz class from AKL to PVG for 52k M&M miles on their 787-9. Long flight, good service but I didn't like the layout of the seats and the cabin was way too warm. Little privacy in those seats.

5. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yeah I really hate warm cabins - it can ruin a flight entirely regardless of which cabin you are in!

6. FlyingPiggie

Apparently done so that people become sleepier and don't bother the flight attendants as much...

I'm sure we've all been on an plane or two where we've been made to feel like it's our duty to fly in order to provide employment to FAs (rather than FAs being employed to provide service to customers...)

7. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Indeed. The strange thing is though (I've no idea if this is usual, and if so, what the science behind it is), I find it extremely difficult to sleep in a warm environment - much easier in the cold. Warm bed but cold room - I always set the aircon to the lowest possible/ open the window etc.

If a cabin is too warm, there's no chance of me sleeping so their cunning plan is doomed to fail. Make it cold and I'll be out as soon as I get comfortable and relax!

8. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

I'd say that a BA Amex 2-for-1 voucher + BA GGL "Gold Upgrade for 2" (GUF2) + BA GGL "Joker" makes for the best redemption to Syndey. Start from Inverness to dodge UK Air Passenger Duty, and it's 130,000 avios + £520 in total for 2 people return in business off-peak! The Joker means you can get seats even when normal avios availability has gone, the GUF2 means you pay WTP avios for CW seats, and the 2-for-1 means only one set of WTP avios for 2 CW seats :)

Otherwise, for the luxury option, GUF2 + Joker + 241 for 2 people return to sit in 1st is 250,000 avios + £680, or 250k + £880 to start from London. (300k on an peak day)

Only requires you have earnt 3,000 tier points the year before to get the GUF2 + Joker though, so easy really...

JoeD and FlyingPiggie like this.
  9. FlyingPiggie

Simples...

I had actually been contemplating a push for GGL and to run a blog giveaway of the statuses GGLs can hand out. But then the TP earning on AA Domestic First was cut, putting an end to that idea, and potentially even my future status as Gold.

Anyhow, I find it somewhat curious that those who can most take advantage of Jokers, GUF2, etc. are also those who probably have millions of Avios anyhow, as well as a pretty healthy salary...

10. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

You need the salary to pay the taxes and fees on a BA ex-UK departure in a premium cabin....

Jokers only let you spend your avios balance! Between that and the Gold Priority Awards (spend 2x avios to make most seats bookable), it solves the issue of "but I fly BA all the time, why won't they let me use my avios for a holiday" for the customers they mostly care about.

You don't earn that many avios flying with Qatar and crediting to BA, though you do get a much better experience for your money :)

11. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

An Avios/BA Masterclass!