Best Airport Hotel in the UK

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Strategies' started by JoeD, Aug 21, 2017.

1. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

2. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

At Heathrow I tend to do for the Ibis Styles or the HGI at Hatton Cross, depending on price.

For Gatwick I've found the Sofitel to be nice, but slightly less convenient now that BA have swapped terminals. Generally the Hilton at the South terminal seems to be cheaper than the Sofitel, almost as good as a normal guest, and better as an elite guest (I prefer the Hilton lounge to the Sofitel one and the Hilton lounge staff are bettter). The Hampton is new, solid, but generally more than the Sofitel or the Hilton which it shouldn't be!

The Hilton at Edinburgh airport was good when I last stayed there, but that was a few years ago so don't know now.

The Hilton at Manchester airport is decent, good breakfast, friendly staff, but a surprising pain to walk to even though it's just over the (large busy...) road from the station

JoeD likes this.
  3. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Oh, and for LCY, I've had good stays at both the Doubletree and the Aloft, I'd say the Aloft had the edge!

FlyingPiggie likes this.
  4. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Interesting re Gatwick - I don't think I've ever stayed at a proper 'airport hotel' there, although Croydon counts I suppose.

I must have spent dozens of nights at the MAN Hilton when I was a kid, but can't remember all that much about it now. These days I just get the train straight across from Leeds, or if it's a really early flight stay somewhere in Manchester or at a mate's and get the train.

For sheer convenience, I'd say the Hampton at Liverpool is tough to beat - particularly given that LPL is quite annoying to get to with public transport (you have to get a bus from the train station).

5. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

For Gatwick I've only stayed at the Hilton. IIRC there is a new wing with updated rooms and the lounge. The rest of the place is a typical UK nasty 1980s Hilton. Hampton and Sofitel are now "wrong terminal" for me... (even when the Hilton was "wrong terminal", at least it was en route to/from the train station)

Even worse are the IHG options around Gatwick. I would definitely stay at the Hampton in Croydon above anything off-airport at LGW.

I suppose I should write it up myself for the blog (perhaps after you post on LGW hotels), but you also have the split ticket trick at East Croydon for getting to LGW cheaper.

JoeD likes this.
  6. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

How does the split ticket trick work? - sounds good.

7. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Covered in great detail at http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/2016/01/oyster-at-gatwick/ - scroll down to Cheaper to Split

This involves walking up the ramp to the gateline to touch out and then touch back in again, but as many journeys to stations other than the main London terminals require a change at East Croydon anyway this may not be as silly as it first appears.

FlyingPiggie and JoeD like this.
  8. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

Nice find Nick. 2016 doesn't save me researching the current cost of everything though.

I've found that you need to tag out with one Oyster and back in with a contactless credit card, so that Oyster doesn't treat it as the same journey.

But, as you say, it's as easy as catching the first train to East Croydon and walking up the ramp (or the stairs to the new mid-platform exit). I've even left the missus watching the suitcases on the platform whilst I tagged in and out twice...

9. Barry1984

Barry1984 Member

Hardly a "major UK airport" but the Hilton East Midlands gets my thumbs up. Superb breakfast, friendly staff and great pool area.

For LHR in the budget hotels range, I recently stayed at the Travelodge Heathrow Central. Basic and no frills, but I prefer the beds to the Ibis. Plus can get a room for £25/night in the sale!

JoeD likes this.
  10. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Can
    Can't argue with £25!

What's it like getting between the Hilton East Mids and the airport? (I tend to avoid East Mids because I don't drive and getting there with public transport always seems to be slightly annoying).

11. Barry1984

Barry1984 Member

Hotel is about 10 mins from the airport. They offer a free shuttle (taxi) service 24/7 which is fantastic. Although if you don't drive, getting to the hotel in the first place might be a bit problematic!

litefoot and JoeD like this.
  12. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Can
    Difficult to argue with £25!

What's it like getting between the Hilton East Mids and the airport? (I tend to avoid East Mids because I don't drive and getting there with public transport always seems to be slightly annoying).
    Cheers, yeah fair point! Good to know the option is there though and the shuttle definitely sounds like one of the better ones

13. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Interesting, I considered staying there this month but ruled it out because the homepage said you need to pay for a taxi to get there if you don't drive. They don't mention a free shuttle service.

Barry1984 likes this.
  14. Barry1984

Barry1984 Member

Just checked my reservation and we were on a park & fly rate which I guess must have included the free shuttle. All I can find on their website is this:

Hilton East Midlands hotel offers 24 hour transfers to the airport

Might be worth calling to check whether this is free if you're not on a specific rate.

litefoot likes this.
  15. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Obviously I'm going to carry on covering the big chains, but are there any hidden gems anyone knows about (and are willing to share!)?

16. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Humberside Airport now has a Hampton right next door, so you can walk straight into the terminal. Useful for mattress runs and points earning opportunities I'd guess.

As regards LHR, I'm very partial to the Hilton T5 because of the executive lounge, the free spa, the many food choices, and that it's in a peaceful area. It's also little known that you don't have to use the expensive Hotel Hoppa service to get to it. This bus will take you from T5 to the main road right next to the hotel car park entrance for £1.50.

[​IMG]

I would dispute some of the LHR public transport timings on the article, Joe - there are many free buses that will take you around the outskirts of the airport in a short time. I wrote a list somewhere, I'll go look for it.

JoeD likes this.
  17. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Here's a general map of the free buses with hotels marked. I'm convinced a lot of these would be quicker than the times specified in the article.

http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/Company/Static/PDF/Heathrowcommuter/travel_around_Heathrow.pdf

Taking the Hilton Garden Inn as an example - obviously if you're flying into Heathrow you can get the tube from the terminals directly to Hatton Cross. You'll have to pay for this of course. 10 mins from T5 and five mins from T2/3, followed by a short five minute walk to the hotel.

Alternatively you can get free buses. From T5, you can get the 423 bus which runs along Bath Road, round the eastern perimeter and drops you at the bus stop on Envoy Ave next to the hotel. This would take 15-20 mins. Or, you could get the Heathrow Express for free from T5 to Heathrow Central (five mins), and then get the 285 bus which runs along Bath Road (10 mins), and again, drops you outside the hotel. All free.

If for some reason you want to take the southern route, the 482 and 490 buses run from T5, to T4, to Hatton Cross station. Maybe 15 mins journey time. Then a short five minute walk to the hotel. Again, free.

Obviously this map doesn't mention the bus to the Hilton T5 as it's not in the Free Travel Zone but the point I'm making is that there are cheaper and quicker ways of getting to these hotels if you know where to look!

For example, if you're staying at The Travelodge Heathrow Central (a favourite because it's so cheap) or the Doubletree Heathrow, although these are outside the free zone you can still get the 105 and 111 buses from Heathrow Central and they will drop you very near to both hotels for £1.50. This is a far better option than the Hoppa buses.

JoeD likes this.
  18. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Absolutely - I decided to be ultra-conservative on the timings because I don't want to be responsible for people missing their flights!

Also, my experience is that things can often take longer than anticipated if you're unfamiliar with them (public transport in a new city usually baffles me for a day or so, even if it's really easy once you know how it works) and many readers won't have stayed at those hotels before. Plus I had to make allowances for people having lots of luggage, maybe not walking as quickly as I do etc.

19. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Cheers for the Hampton Humberside tip - I'd completely missed that! Any idea what Category it is?

litefoot likes this.
  20. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

It's 17k-20k so Category 3