BA versus VIRGIN

Discussion in 'Virgin Atlantic | Flying Club' started by AndyMorgan, Nov 8, 2017.

1. AndyMorgan

AndyMorgan New Member

Currently weighing up return flights to New York. My options are:

BA: WT+ return for 78K Avios plus £903 tax

BA: CW out / WT+ return for 104K Avios plus £989

OR

VIRGIN: Premium Return for 70K Miles plus £755

Seems a no brainer to me... but having never flown either I'd love a few opinions.

JoeD likes this.
  2. endian675

endian675 New Member

BA CW/WT+ for me. You may even get lucky and get bumped up on the WT+ leg.

JoeD likes this.
  3. JoeD

JoeD Active Member

If it was a straight comparison between Virgin Premium Economy vs BA WT+ then definitely Virgin for me. The CW possibility mixes things up a bit, but I'd argue is less important on the way out than on the way back (assuming that's a night flight) so I'd switch that if there's availability.

I'd say the ideal would be Virgin PE out and BA CW back if there's availability and it doesn't mess with the surcharges too much. (Well, obviously the ideal would actually be Virgin Upper Class both ways!).

The other thing to consider is whether using Avios/Miles for PE to New York makes sense given the relatively high costs both in Miles and cash, compared to booking a cheap Norwegian flight + £25 for extra legroom. You could likely make yourself very comfortable on Norwegian for less than £700 Return (buy a bottle of nice champagne with the savings!) and you'd still have your Miles.

Or you could mix it up and do Norwegian (or Wow etc) one-way and CW/Upper Class the other. For Europe-East Coast USA outbounds I'd genuinely recommend just going for extra legroom Economy. It's about as comfortable as PE on a relatively short daytime flight.

I always struggle to decide what to do on the way back though because I'm yet to find a way that makes a short night flight actually comfortable - you're getting a max of ~3-4 hours sleep and will feel pretty rubbish the next day even coming back in First (in fact, prob worse in First as the Grand Siecle is difficult to say no to). I've genuinely discussed the possibility of routing via Miami or something if travelling Biz/First to make the flight long enough to sleep!

The last couple of times I've just booked the cheapest low cost carrier, got extra legroom, some nice food and a few drinks and made the best of it. The reasoning being that if I'm going to be tired and grumpy the next day regardless, then I might as well save myself some cash/Miles.

4. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

Personally I find CW / F back from JFK to be a waste. Too short of a flight to sleep much, yet reduced service because the assumption is everybody wants to sleep. You also have higher surcharges ex-USA.

So CW out / WT+ back would take it for me.

Also... it's really time to be burning those Avios if variable pricing is on the way.