BA offer

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by litefoot, Mar 8, 2017.

1. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Just had this email:

"We have a surprise just for you! Receive a bonus when you purchase or gift up to 100,000 Avios before 23:59 hr GMT 23 March 2017. Then turn your Avios into savings – book a reward flight, cabin upgrade or just spend a little to discount the price of your ticket.

Click below to find out your surprise bonus."

And my bonus was... 20%. Rubbish! I shall certainly give that a miss. I hope you all get better offers.

JoeD likes this.
  2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Cheers for sharing - will certainly keep an eye out! Although I'm not entirely sure what price I'd be a buyer at actually - it'd have to be under 0.8p at the moment I think.

litefoot likes this.
  3. Ian

Ian Active Member

20% here, too. Thanks, but no thanks, BA.

JoeD and litefoot like this.
  4. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

People must actually do it though. I'm sure somebody at BA would put a stop to these promos if nobody was actually buying Avios with them...

JoeD and litefoot like this.
  5. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Good point - which is why InsideFlyer should be part of their essential daily reading!

6. Ian

Ian Active Member

By the same logic, people must buy Avios at the standard price. If people stopped doing that, maybe the bonuses offered would be better than 20%.

I seem to remember Simon Calder's (obviously misinformed) article about the myths of travel hacking where he mentioned that he buys Avios every year, and he's supposed to be an expert (or a highly paid journalist that can afford it anyway, take your choice)

JoeD likes this.
  7. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yes I thought that was a particularly odd admission for the 'Anti-Points-Guy' - he travel hacks, just not very well.

8. RichT

RichT New Member

I've bought Avios via Iberia before at 20% bonus (pre-Brexit £ vs Euro) - a 20% bonus is welcome when it comes to needing a quick topup for a big redemption, and can make financial sense.

I wouldn't buy speculatively at this price though.

9. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Fair point - if you're just topping up for an award then any bonus is better than none. I think Simon said he bought the full allowance every year.