Any disclosable manufactured spend tips?

Discussion in 'Manufactured spend' started by tommyl, Feb 3, 2016.

1. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Cheers Gagravarr! - there's a post up about it now. Looks exceptionally interesting. I've ordered one, and we'll just have to see how it plays out I suppose. Well worth a punt in my view.

2. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

According to Raffles on Head For Points, the Curve business model relies on the EU interchange cap being consumer-only, and not applying to Business Cards. That's why they need you to say you're a Business or Self Employer (or similar) customer, so they're allowed to then issue you a Business card. Apparently, those have interchange fees up around the 1.3% mark, far higher than the consumer 0.3% cap that's coming in, and provides their margin. So, Curve will net themselves around 1.3%, pay out only around 0.3% on the onward charge to your Visa / MasterCard (or higher but still sub-1.3% to Amex), and the rest is theirs to fund the whole thing

Cash Withdrawls they still look to loose money on, so I suspect they'll need to set the "fair use limit" on those pretty low to not loose out

Interesting thing for me will be what places will let you use it without fee. If it could be used with HMRC without their credit card surcharge, it could make a big difference. Utility Companies could be another good one - while I won't go to a huge amount of trouble to pre-pay my electricity for rewards on my points-earning visa card, for an Amex it's a different story. Some travel providers charge a fee for using a credit card, if any of those took it as a debit / no-fee card that'd help too.

We'll have to see what it's really like in a few weeks when they're sent out. Well, unless any of the private beta customers can shed some light sooner!

3. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Anyone had any experience with billhop yet? HFP did an article (http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/09/18/billhop-review/) which says the rate is 2.95% and looks pretty easily 'gameable' in theory.

Is it worth generating Miles at 2.95%? Depends, but it certainly could be.

4. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Until mid January, you can pay / overpay many kinds of tax bills with HMRC for low-ish credit card fees. 0.5% or even less for most non-business rewards credit cards

Assuming you're signed up for self assessment, you ought to be able to overpay by up to a few grand without too much issue / complaints, then get it refunded to your bank account in April / May once you've submitted your self assessment claim

I still find the best way is to go out with friends who don't care about points, then pick up the whole bill at the end on my points credit card (waitstaff like that there's just one person paying!) and get cash back from everyone there.

Curve still lets you take £200 out for free in cash each month, which can add up a bit over a year

JoeD likes this.
  5. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yes, the trick with that though is to make sure you have the right card with you and actually know the pin :)

More seriously, I might start conducting some experiments if I get some time...

6. Copywriter_Ben

Copywriter_Ben New Member

Sadly the new EU rules about credit card fees means that from mid-January 2018 you won't be able to pay your income tax bill with a personal credit card anymore, so this is a one-time chance to earn points. You will also need to ensure you file your return and pay your tax bill before the usual January 31st deadline.

Gagravarr likes this.
  7. Richies

Richies New Member

I love this tip!! Excellent, thanks :)

8. jtz

jtz New Member

Thanks tommyl for the oyster MS, is that just for new oysters or existing ones too?
    Thanks

9. MJ_92

MJ_92 New Member

Hi,

Can anyone advise here if they know any way to liquidate or withdraw using an Optimum card without having to actually lose out through a fee?

10. Greg

Greg New Member

Can you still do this at stations? Can't you only get a refund of £10 from machines and any more you have to contact TFL?

11. UKNoobie

UKNoobie Member

+1

12. Bowiegod

Bowiegod New Member

Not a big spend but i use amex via paypal to pay for my montly first bus ticket £48, and also use virgin mastercard to pay for council tax bill of £172 each month, stevie

13. MileExpert

MileExpert New Member

The Oyster tip is worth a try, even if it no longer works I'd use the credit anyway

14. Martyusha

Martyusha New Member

Thanks for this - I just linked my amex to paypal and used that to pay for my next months' worth of first bus tickets.

Bowiegod likes this.
  15. Martyusha

Martyusha New Member

I like this idea, but I don't visit London often and haven't used my old oyster card since the contactless payments came in at TfL. But I would like to manufacture a bit of spending - has anyone tried this recently? Does it still work the same way?

16. windsor

windsor New Member

Book a business full refundable flight, collect the points and cancel the flights after that.

17. JakeRB

JakeRB New Member

Some great tips - especially the Oyster card... i had never thought of that!

18. Copywriter_Ben

Since the EU ban on charging additional credit card handling fees, my local council has stopped accepting credit cards entirely. No more manufactured spend there then :(

19. UKNoobie

UKNoobie Member

Has anyone tried using Revolut or Curve to pay off AMEX CC bills?

JoeD likes this.
  20. Copywriter_Ben

Not directly - I have always transferred currency from my Revolut card to a bank account first