Amex platinum sign up questions

Discussion in 'Miles & points via credit cards' started by FlyingScot, Jun 30, 2020.

1. FlyingScot

FlyingScot Member

My partner has some big purchases coming up, so is thinking of signing up to Amex platinum for the bonus (and status with various hotel chains) then cancelling ASAP to get most of the annual fee refunded. A few questions before she does so:
    - if she hits the spending target in the first few days, how quickly is she likely to be able to take the bonus and then cancel? I'm guessing a month or so?
    - if she gives someone a supplementary card, will that be a financial link that shows on credit checks etc?
    - if she refers me for a card and then cancel before I've met the qualifications for the bonus, I guess she won't get the referral bonus?

Thanks, and sorry about the basic questions!

2. VinoTYT

VinoTYT New Member

The welcome bonus comes within a week or two from hitting the spend target from my experience.

Dont think there’s any credit check for supplementary. Certainly not for many that I applied.

The referral bonus almost always get deposited on the day the applicant receive new card.

3. FlyingScot

FlyingScot Member

Thanks! Planning to sign up today and get through the £4k spend in a day or two after the card arrives. Wonder if we'll get the bonus before Amex stops giving 0.9p/MR points...

In terms of supplementary cards, I was thinking more about being linked to someone on credit reports. My partner might give a supplementary card to someone with a poor credit rating, so wouldn't want to be linked to them as far as credit reference agencies are concerned...