Amex Gold - the best value miles/points credit card out there

Discussion in 'Air miles' started by tommyl, Feb 26, 2015.

1. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

The American Express Preferred Rewards Gold is in my book the best value miles and points credit card out there, by some way.

I set out below a full summary, but in short:
    • It's free for the first year, then you can cancel it.
    • You will earn 22,000 bonus points for signing up and meeting the reasonable initial spend target.
    • You get two free airport lounge entrances each year
    Bonus points available: 22,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend £2000 in the first three months- an excellent American Express UK sign up bonus, given the card is free.

What that can get you: Among many other things, 22,000 Avios – so a return flight from London to Moscow, for example (20,000 Avios). In total, you can transfer your points to 15 major frequent flyer and hotel programmes.

Ongoing points earning rate: 1 point per £1 spent. Double points on supermarket and petrol spend for your first year. Double points on all travel and foreign spend for life. 7,500 bonus Membership Rewards points each year your card fee is paid if you have spent £15,000 in the previous year.

Key additional perks: two free airport lounge passes each year.

Fee: No fee for the first year (£125 a year thereafter)

How do I get the bonus points?: Apply via this link, or alternatively private message me, and I will send you a referral link. The bonus if you are not referred is lower, at 20,000 points.

2. TTGLOBE4L

TTGLOBE4L Member

I love this card but also love the BA Premium Plus card. Yes I know it has a fee but that 2-4-1 voucher has been invaluable for getting me long haul business class flights for less than the price of seats in economy. I don't currently have it as I churned and switched to another card to get more points but I am about to reapply so do you happen to have a link for that card so I can earn some extra points please?

3. tommyl

Good timing! I've just published a post on how to avoid the fee on the BA Amex!

I totally agree that the BA card is excellent if you secure the companion voucher/"two-for-one". More on this later, on the blog...

This link will get you an extra 1,000 Avios for the sign-up bonus. (The link will take you to the free card - if you want the Premium Plus card, just click on it in the left hand corner of the screen).

TTGLOBE4L likes this.
  4. TTGLOBE4L

TTGLOBE4L Member

Yay I saw that post yesterday! Am I ok to share this link with others too! I believe I have to leave six months since I cancelled the card before reapplying so will give it a few weeks and reapply.

5. TTGLOBE4L

TTGLOBE4L Member

Just a query on the platinum card if I have my voucher and then cancel to restart the clock for the sign up bonus, I presume that doesn't prejudice my companion voucher?

I've signed up by the way. Thanks for the extra points.

6. tommyl

Good question. You won't lose the voucher if you cancel the card after you have used the voucher to book flights. If you haven't yet booked flights and cancel the card, strictly speaking you are breaching the terms and conditions (see clause 15 here) and there is a possibility you may lose it.

As such, my recommendation is you don't cancel the card until you have booked the flights using the companion voucher.

TTGLOBE4L likes this.
  7. Benoit33

Benoit33 New Member

Does anyone find value in obtaining the platinum card?

8. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yep - I really like it actually (and keep it when I'm not mid-churn). I get most value from the travel insurance, hotel statuses, and Lounge access via Priority Pass (supplementary cardholder gets Priority Pass as well as primary holder, so you can get 4 people into lounges for free when travelling together).

I don't have airline status though, and fly a lot of short haul with low cost carriers, so lounge access is a genuine benefit. If I was a BA elite, flying mostly on Oneworld, then it wouldn't really be worth as much, so it depends.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  9. Greg

Greg New Member

The Amex gold is definitely the best, especially since its free for the first year! If anyone is looking to sign up and wants an extra 2000 bonus points, use this link!

10. elizabrook

elizabrook New Member

I have recently signed up to this card. Have been pleasantly surprised how many places take AMEX now

JoeD likes this.
  11. AlexBA9719

AlexBA9719 New Member

The majority of places do take AMEX now which is great - it just becomes a habit of saying "Do you take AMEX?" a lot! if i got points for every-time i asked that i'd be flying 1st every few weeks!

Also worth remembering places which don't like B&Q do online and you can also buy gift cards from say Sainsbury's on AMEX then go into B&Q to redeem. A bit of hassle but i often say you never really go to B&Q just to spend £10 it tends to be large amounts

JoeD likes this.
  12. cathyb84

cathyb84 New Member

The two lounge passes are a nice bonus too

JoeD likes this.
  13. Arif66

Arif66 New Member

thanksss

14. davegreen1980

davegreen1980 New Member

FREE £5 Amazon Voucher

I’d be grateful for anyone to use my referral link for the Amex Rewards Gold Card.

http://amex.co.uk/refer/davidglkzk?XLINK=MYCP

The card is free for the first year and you can cancel before the end of the year.

By using my referral you will benefit from 22,000 points instead of the usual 20,000

I will also email you a £5 amazon voucher code after I receive my referral points. Please send email to [email protected] to confirm that you have successfully applied for the card using my link. I will then email the code across to you once the points appear on my account. This usually takes 2 to 3 weeks.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  15. Nico23

Nico23 New Member

Had the Gold Amex Charge card for several years and found it very useful. I will probably switch from the Gold Charge card to the equivalent credit card when the annual cost is due. The main reason being that by switching from one to the other I will be able to benefit of the first year of the credit card for free (£140). What is not to like about it :)

16. tomlee80

tomlee80 New Member

I've had my card one week and already racking up the points. Great time of year to easily surpass that £2000 minimum spend within 3 months for the welcome points. Only mistake I made was not going through a referral so I'm looking at 20,000 instead of 22,000 points.

17. davegreen1980

davegreen1980 New Member

FREE £40 Amazon Voucher

I’d be grateful for anyone to use my referral link for the Amex Rewards Gold Card.

http://amex.co.uk/refer/davidglkzk?XLINK=MYCP

The card is free for the first year and you can cancel before the end of the year.

By using my referral you will benefit from 22,000 points instead of the usual 20,000

I will also email you a £40 amazon voucher code after I receive my referral points. Please send email to [email protected] to confirm that you have successfully applied for the card using my link. I will then email the code across to you once the points appear on my account. This usually takes 3 to 4 weeks.

18. Stuart_Ormond

Stuart_Ormond New Member

Does anyone know how badly to keep cancelling and signing up for Amex cards affects your credit score? I'm into my 2nd year now of switching between this Amex Gold and the BA Premium Plus, cancelling each time to get the 'new' customer bonus after 6 months.

Had a look on insiderflyer and online, and couldn't see any mention of this, so wondered if anyone has more info about the possible effects it will have on credit history? The Gold isn't a credit card I believe, so maybe this one doesn't have as much as an impact as say cancelling the BA card

19. ob13561

ob13561 New Member

Apologies for the spam. I am unable to post a URL in another thread until I have made 10 posts. Apparently this policy is to prevent spam, oh the irony.