Airmiles for Lounge access

Discussion in 'Airports & Lounges' started by silviam, Jul 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. silviam

silviam New Member

Is it worth buying a lounge access using airmiles?

2. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Which lounge in which airport with what airmiles?

(Depending on that, the answer might be yes, no or maybe!)

3. silviam

silviam New Member

I'm thinking of using some of my Avios to buy lounge access - either in UK or abroad.

4. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Be aware that you can't currently buy access to the BA lounges with Avios (and I haven't heard any rumours of that starting any time soon either). All you can do is buy access to third party lounges

Raffles wrote up the options last year, and it's a good post on the topic: http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/08/09/use-your-avios-points-for-airport-lounge-access-2/

Conclusion was that it wasn't normally very good value, and you'd be better off doing a discounted cash booking through one of the methods detailed in the article

5. silviam

silviam New Member

That's very useful, thank you.

6. beppo

beppo Member

My favorite option is the app loungebuddy. They often offer free entry to their new lounges (instructions given via newsletter) if you happen to travel at the right time to the right place.

7. VineetGupta

VineetGupta New Member

Avios are generally very valuable when redeemed for flights. Why do you want to use them for Lounge Access?

8. Barry1984

Barry1984 Member

Agreed with this. I think it's generally regarded that you get poor value for your Avios when using them to buy lounge access.

This article has some good tips on how to get into lounges without having to use Avios (so you can save them for more valuable redemptions like flights/upgrades):
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/cheap-airport-lounge-access

For instance, if you're a Flying Club member, you can get into No. 1 lounges for £25 (and earn 350 miles!).
    https://no1lounges.com/virginatlanticflyingclub

Spes likes this.
  9. Spes

Spes New Member

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of this Flying club perk.

10. Barry1984

Barry1984 Member

Was on a BA flight this morning and found the attached offer in the inflight magazine for Priority Pass. Not heard of it myself but had a quick gander and membership gives you access to 1000+ lounges worldwide. Might work for you.

1 year standard membership is £62 with the 10% off code in the advert.

https://www.prioritypass.com/en

http://imgur.com/a/ISjOy

Spes likes this.
  11. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Does that include any visits? If not, that's not a great deal as you'd have to then pay for every visit, often £15/person/visit

The other downside with Priority Pass is that you're bottom of the heap for access, so any busy lounge (eg Aspire in LHR T5, most LGW lounges) won't let you in

If you'd be making heavy use of Priority Pass, it's normally best to get the UK Amex Plat chargecard - £450/year, but gets you 2 Priority Passes with unlimited visits, each of which is valid for cardholder + one guest

Barry1984 and Spes like this.
  12. Barry1984

Barry1984 Member

Yes, you're right. The standard £62 membership doesn't include any free visits (£15 each).

It goes up to £142 for 10 free visits (£15 per visit thereafter).

The unlimited visit card is £233 so the Amex Plat chargecard that you mention is a decent deal if you think you'll use it often.

Spes likes this.
  13. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

For many of the UK lounges, you can normally buy access in advance for about the 20 quid mark, plus that means you'd get entry even when the lounge is busy, so do you sums first!

14. Dan22125

Dan22125 New Member

Personally I wouldn't use miles on lounge access. For me, the miles are more about getting cheap flights :)