Accelerate & Points+Cash target confusion

Discussion in 'IHG Rewards Club' started by Gagravarr, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Part of my 2017 Accelerate targets includes "Stay for Less and Earn - Earn 2,000 bonus points when you book 1 stay(s) using Points and Cash". I've also got "Globetrotter Bonus - Earn 8,000 bonus points for staying at 1 IHG hotel(s) outside of your country of residence"

[​IMG]

Based on the terms and conditions I believe that (as before) pure points reward nights don't count for targets. However, in my case, at least Points+Cash stay must.

What I'm wondering is if that stay will also count for the other ones? Specifically, if I book a one-night Points+Cash hotel stay in another country, will it qualify for both the above targets?

2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Good question - I've got the same requirement.

I'm assuming that it's the act of redeeming for a Points+Cash award that triggers that bonus, not the actual stay (as you say, P+C stays are usually non-qualifying), so I think you could do a P+C booking, cancel it (essentially buying Points), and still get the bonus. Therefore, I don't think the stay (if you did stay) would trigger any other bonuses.

This is pure guess work though, so I might well be wrong (and we're talking IHG IT, so really anything could happen!). I'll be making a P+C redemption later today (but not staying for a few weeks), and will let you know if the bonus Points hit my account before the stay.

3. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

Joe's basically got the right answer. P+C only works for that specific target. And, yes, you can book a P+C for a date near the end of the promo and cancel it once your target is triggered. I've done that before...

That said, it might not be worth it unless you're aiming for all of your targets. I did the math and I just can't be bothered. On a cent per point basis, you should actually book the 5K for $40 package. You would then get 7K points for $40. 0.57 cents per point. Except IHG often sell points for roughly that price so this is hardly a bargain.

I'm ignoring Accelerate this quarter. Maybe I should write a blog post about training IHG IT to give you reasonable targets...

4. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

I've largely been ignoring Accelerate for the last few versions, tackling just 1-2 cheap / quick-win targets for their bonuses only. Seems to have mostly worked, as this time I have nearly sensible targets. Looks like I'll want to make my January overseas stay a fully paid-for one though!

(Also, much as I do whinge about Spire being Uninspiring and largely useless, the IC Hong Kong upgraded us to a junior suite with stunning harbour views on a points booking last night, plus 2 free drinks in the bar, plus lent us a local phone with free data and free calls and local guides on it, not bad!)

JoeD likes this.
  5. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

Upgrade at IC HK without being RA? Nice... I got a broom closet during my one and only stay there.

6. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I've done very well from Accelerate - I 'manage' a bunch of family accounts though so there's always at least a couple of decent offers

7. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I got a really nice room there last year (no harbour view though!), drinks etc. Think I was IHG Platinum at the time, which would've been top but no IC Ambassador status and it was using Points.