Which airline wins in the battle of the British Airways Upper Class Experience?

Discussion in 'Virgin Atlantic | Flying Club' started by TTGLOBE4L, Mar 10, 2016.

?

Which is better in the battle of the British Airlines?

Poll closed Mar 17, 2016.
  1. Virgin Atlantic Upper Class

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. British Airways Club World

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. TTGLOBE4L

TTGLOBE4L Member

Following on from my prior post, I would like to know which experience you think is better? I am writing a post on this subject and haven't flown Virgin so need help please...

2. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Better for what though? Nicest business class lounge? On-board J experience? Route network with J cabins? Cost of J seats? Ease of getting J seats with points/miles? East of getting J seats with Tesco spend? Other?

3. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I'd just say Virgin regardless. I'm really not much of a BA fan, even in First.

4. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

What part of the world are you travelling to? - there might be better options.

5. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

Fully seconded.

That said, I fully take Gagravarr's point that where you're doing a proper analysis of what's "better", you need to look at various factors.

I have voted above based on a simple comparison of the BA Business v Virgin Upper Class flying experience though.

6. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

Agree. Give me the state subsidies and sublime product of the Middle East 3 every time, and as I write this I am sat in the Etihad lounge, about to get on Etihad Business Class (having been chauffeured to the airport). Feeling a lot better about this looooong flight than if it was with BA.

JoeD likes this.
  7. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Nice Tom! - where you off?

I did get stuck on a 'Jetihad' flight last summer which wasn't so impressive (actually much preferred my Air Berlin segment on that trip, even despite a catastrophic hangover on it!), and Emirates Biz is no great shakes by most accounts (I've not tried it), so ME3 aren't always better. Etihad on the A380 (or on anything that isn't leased from Jet really), almost all of the Qatar fleet, and any of them in First are a undeniably fantastic though.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  8. TTGLOBE4L

TTGLOBE4L Member

It's more a question of where I'm flying from which is the UK. Options for earning miles are best with Virgin and BA hence the question. I've been doing some research for a post I'm writing targeted at Brits and it seems in some respects BA wins and in others Virgin. I am also starting to look at ever creative ways of flying other airlines as a Brit and accumulating points in the UK.

9. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I'd try not to worry too much about Miles earned when paying cash for Biz or First tickets (it's a factor of course, but usually only relevant at the margin). I'd concentrate primarily on the best price/most convenient schedule, and because BA (and Virgin too really) aren't that great, most airlines are likely to be as good or better, so you can just go with what's cheapest without 'missing out'.

Remember as well that the airline you fly doesn't dictate the type of Miles you get - you can credit flights to partner frequent flyer programmes, so you can collect Avios from American flights, or Virgin FC Miles from Delta flights etc etc. Do check the earnings rate for the fare class though before deciding where to credit, as it can vary a lot.

All things being equal, personally, I wouldn't consider BA or Virgin at all heading East (apart from using Miles on Virgin back from Hong Kong as there's no fuel surcharges and it's only 60k). There are just so many great options (Cathay, Singapore, JAL, EVA, etc) if you want direct, or the ME3 if you don't mind connecting. Going West, there aren't really any amazing options so Virgin would be a pretty strong contender for something 'fun', or American on one of their 777-300ER planes is probably the best all-round transatlantic product. I also have a soft spot for Aer Lingus, and the new business class cabins look great, if via Dublin is an option (plus no APD).

cinereus likes this.