What exactly is a mileage run?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs' started by NewbieTrav, Nov 2, 2015.

1. NewbieTrav

NewbieTrav New Member

Sorry if I am being slow, but what exactly is a "mileage run"?

2. GnarlyOldGoatDude

GnarlyOldGoatDude Active Member

Making a flight/route that you don't have to take in order to earn extra miles/points/status etc.
    This might take the form a complete trip when you didn't need to travel. Or it could be tweaking a necessary trip in order to include some extra sectors/stops in order to rack up the maximum number of miles.

The trick is to maximise the miles or points for the least amount of money. You might see people discussing the ratio of pence (or cents) to the mile. Some people can't resist making a trip if the rates are good enough, so there is a lot of sharing of interesting itineraries and good deals.

richardcohen and NewbieTrav like this.
  3. MilesFromBlighty

MilesFromBlighty Co-founder

There is a hotel version, usually called a 'Mattress Run'

NewbieTrav likes this.
  4. NewbieTrav

NewbieTrav New Member

Thanks all - will look into it, hopefully some tips to come on this forum.

5. Lionell

Lionell Member Staff Member

A mileage run is a lot of fun! I took my first last year November when I flew a round trip AMS-LHR-LAX-HNL in a weekend, got me just over 36k in AA miles. A couple of weeks after I flew a 7 day mileage run, for which I got called insane :D The trip got me just over 80k in AA miles, this is a pic of the route I flew back then.
    Mileage Run 2.0 Conclusion GCMap.png

It's taking and flying a trip for the sole purpose of earning ear miles as cheap as possible.

GnarlyOldGoatDude likes this.
  6. GnarlyOldGoatDude

GnarlyOldGoatDude Active Member

As someone who stocks up on podcasts before any journey, I appreciate the concept of ear miles.

Lionell likes this.
  7. Lionell

Oops slip of the fingers :D

8. Richies

Richies New Member

Have you worked out points per £ for some of these runs? Seems like a crazy effort but is it really worthwhile?

9. Lionell

The trip to Hawaii cost me 400 euros and the week-long trip was 1300 euros for 19 flights. So for me it was definitely worth it. All the miles I gained were used to redeem for first & business class flights the year after.

10. Benoit33

Benoit33 New Member

Am I correct to assume that the mileage runs were in economy?

11. Greg

Greg New Member

Is it on routes you were going to do anyway?

12. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

It certainly makes sense to fly with a destination / holiday in mind, rather than just for the miles and status credit. You can structure indirect routes to make it more efficient in terms of status.

But a "pure" mileage run is simply flying for the sake of it. The destination is basically irrelevant and you might not even leave the airport.

13. Michsel

Michsel New Member

Would any one be able to point me in the right direction in planning a mileage run? Thinking of doing this next month

14. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Hi Michsel - welcome to InsideFlyer!

There are so many potential variables that I can't really answer without more info - which airline/alliance are you thinking; are you looking mainly to earn elite status or redeemable miles; budget; preferred destinations, etc.

Let us know what you have in mind and I'm sure we can offer some suggestions.

15. Michsel

Michsel New Member

Hi!

Its Michael- just a typo when signing up
    I think elite status mostly as I have a round the world trip booked this summer so having that status would definitely be helpfull. Most of my flights are with One World airlines (Qatar

16. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Ah - Hi Michael then! :)

Would you like to mileage run to earn status before your RTW, or would it be in addition to your RTW flights?

For the former, It's usually hard to beat Qatar business class from Europe (usually Scandinavia is best, but also sometimes Italy etc) to somewhere in Asia (Bangkok is often cheapest). The precise prices vary all the time, but for ~£1200 it should be possible to book something along those lines, credit the flights to British Airways Executive Club and earn enough tier points for silver status.

If you're talking in addition to the RTW, the first step would be to crunch the numbers on how many tier points/elite status miles, the RTW flights would get you in total, if you credited them to each of the different oneworld programmes. Then work out what (if anything) you would still need to fly in order to hit whatever status level you want.

17. Michsel

Michsel New Member

Hi Joe!

Thanks. Ideally before but will use the calculator on the British airways site shortly to see how many points I shall be getting from the RTW.

When flying with Qatar and any other oneworld partners do I have the option at check in to choose where to credit the points ? (BAEC or Qatar? )

Thanks

18. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Should be fine, but to avoid any unnecessary hassle when travelling (agents aren't always as well trained as we might hope), the best thing to do is give whoever you booked the RTW with a ring and ask them to add your BA Executive Club (or whatever programme you eventually decide on) details - that way it's all sorted in advance.

19. Michsel

Michsel New Member

Thanks will do that straight away. Also wanted to know if with one world I have the option to credit to either as not sure how all the different frequent flier programs(within one world) tie into eachover

20. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Yep, you can can credit to any of the oneworld member airlines' frequent flyer programmes (so if you were flying with BA for example, you could credit the flight to AA, Cathay, Finnair, etc, etc and vice versa).