Tripadvisor Reviews - Miles and More (and other airlines)

Discussion in 'Lufthansa Miles&More' started by TTGLOBE4L, Jan 23, 2016.

1. TTGLOBE4L

TTGLOBE4L Member

Apparently in India & Germany they earn points for every review done on Tripadvisor. I have been trying to see whether something similar exists in the UK with no joy. Has anyone heard of this and if so, do you have a link I can use to sign up please?

2. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

I investigated that but Tripadvisor in the UK don't offer it. However, Holidaycheck do!

https://secure.holidaycheck.com/wcf/hotelreview/

You can see the miles awarded per review by hovering over each partner on the right.

I have opted for Etihad as they offer 500 miles on sign up (InsideFlyer did an article on Etihad recently, and the signup bonus link is in there somewhere.

tommyl and TTGLOBE4L like this.
  3. TTGLOBE4L

TTGLOBE4L Member

Awesome I have registered for Top Bonus as I am trying to build points with them and they offer 200 per review (Etihad 150, Lufthansa 100). Thanks for the heads up

4. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Must have gone up - it used to be 150.

The review might take a while to post. I am told it takes a maximum of four weeks to get the miles.

I also hear that they occasionally ask for proof of stay so keep your email receipts handy.

I have just posted one review so far.

5. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

What puts me off using Air Berlin is that they don't fly to the UK!

6. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

Tripadvisor India offered Miles&More points for reviewing India hotels for a while, but that's now dead. As litefoot says, your best bet is Holidaycheck.

Funnily enough I just scheduled a (reminder) blog post re Holidaycheck.

7. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

If you need to contact them for whatever reason, I have found they respond very quickly when you send them a PM on Facebook.

8. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

When you start off, expect HolidayCheck to want proof of stays about half your reviews. Over time, that will go down. I'm now at 56 reviews (and lots of Etihad points!), and my last batch of 5 hotel reviews went through without any of them needing verifying.

As covered in the news story from November on HolidayCheck, reviewing with them is pretty quick, and with their 1-5 stars for lots of things, you don't usually need to write as much as you would do for TripAdvisor to make a meaningful review. As long as you have a decent number of hotel stays to review from, you can get a decent number of points from it :)

TTGLOBE4L likes this.
  9. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Have you found any good Etihad redemptions using your points?

TTGLOBE4L likes this.
  10. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Aiming to combine it with the MBNA credit card to get a return to the UAE for much lower taxes than on BA. Nothing all that exciting!

11. tommyl

Absolutely. Even after their heavy devaluation, the Etihad "GuestSeat" redemption option can offer excellent value. I wrote a post on it here. You can get an LHR-AUH First Class return, for example, at a bargain redemption rate.

Just to be clear, my Etihad points haul does not come from writing hotel reviews alone! I transferred a load of Amex Membership Rewards points in when they were offering a 25% bonus (as they fairly regularly do).

TTGLOBE4L likes this.
  12. TTGLOBE4L

TTGLOBE4L Member

Yes they do. They fly from Manchester and London and possibly some other destinations according to their flight map.
    upload_2016-1-29_15-8-43.png

13. TTGLOBE4L

TTGLOBE4L Member

I posted my first reviews last weekend, had no checks and also have already seen them credited!

14. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Only as a codeshare, I'm afraid. If you want to go from Manchester to Germany, the Air Berlin search engine will route you through Heathrow.

They don't operate in the UK, except for a couple of seasonal routes to the Channel Islands.

15. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

That's very quick indeed! Still waiting for my Etihad points from weeks ago. Evidently Air Berlin's admin team have that typical German efficiency!

TTGLOBE4L likes this.
  16. tommyl

Correct. It's notable that one of the best value Avios redemption options (airberlin Business Class) is not available from the UK, although I suppose if it was, it wouldn't be such great value due to APD etc.

TTGLOBE4L likes this.
  17. TTGLOBE4L

TTGLOBE4L Member

Sounds like it! Was very impressed

18. TTGLOBE4L

TTGLOBE4L Member

Guess you could always add on a budget flight to Berlin first? It's not a bad city for a diversion

19. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

It would take me an awful lot of reviews to go Air Berlin Business Class ;)

tommyl likes this.
  20. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I actually did that last summer on a slightly circuitous route to Bangkok (short stop in Abu Dhabi as well), and can thoroughly recommend it - if time isn't an issue.

I booked using Avios before the devaluation, so it was only 25k Avios and £35.00 from Berlin to Abu Dhabi, which was an absolute steal! I'd happily do it again, even at 37,500 Avios. Air Berlin were surprisingly impressive - and chauffeur driven cars to/from the airports are a great way to start/end.

I was in Berlin on my birthday (by myself - that part of my brilliant travel plan wasn't so clever!), but the city is great and nice hotels are VERY reasonable compared to other european capitals.