Should I Pay to Share Miles?

Discussion in 'Other frequent flyer programmes' started by FlyingPiggie, Mar 23, 2017.

1. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

Exactly. It's quite something how, at the beginning of a relationship, it's "I don't mind flying in Y". Then for whatever reason you end up in J whilst she is back in Y and it becomes "I want to sit together next time". Since you won't go to the back of the bus it becomes booking two J tickets. Then she travels on her own and is "I have lots of luggage, can you please book me a J award". With that kind of inflation of expectations, there's no way I could afford children!

2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Haha, yes it's also remarkable how quickly family assumes you have inexhaustible Points/Miles supplies that magically appear for free somehow.

On the other hand, being able to treat people you care about to experiences they didn't think were possible is probably my favourite thing about Points/Miles

3. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Until they get used to those experiences.... The friends who I gifted my BA GGL partner cards to initially found it wonderful, now they're worried if my Tier Point count ever gets low!

JoeD and FlyingPiggie like this.
  4. FlyingPiggie

I sense a blog post... "Do Expert Travel Hackers Have Over-entitled Families?" Shame April Fools has passed...

Lionell and JoeD like this.
  5. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Haha, excellent!

6. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I think the answer to that is simply 'yes'.

7. Lionell

Lionell Member Staff Member

Nice one, my ex still had a bunch of miles from a trip we did when we were still together. I asked her if I could transfer them out of her account, because I paid for the tickets back then. Her answer? "You must be really desperate to travel." :D

Anyway, later this year we have a family trip to Bali, 7 other pax will travel in biz. I set them all up with AA accounts which I manage. I'll happily pay the fee to transfer the miles into my account because I'll end up with about 115k in miles. I just need to plan it right, so I can transfer the miles during one of the AA promotions.

8. FlyingPiggie

Hmmm... I have an "ex" that I'm on reasonably friendly terms with and our "deal" has been that she gets free financial/investment advice from me and I can use her Avios. I just tend to ask her for her credit card details so that I can book rewards in my name, but she's not thrilled with that and so I'm always reticent about dipping into her stash of Avios instead of mine. (I've never really tested whether BAEC would let me pay the taxes myself, and not the member) I thought about a HHA but that has too many downsides for me. I can't recall BA having a good "share Avios" deal. Any thoughts?

Lionell likes this.
  9. GnarlyOldGoatDude

GnarlyOldGoatDude Active Member

It got worse. She booked me on a Ryanair flight.

She said it would be fine as she'd booked me priority boarding and extra leg room. I couldn't care less about the leg room, as I have laughably short legs (as she always points out.) and the priority queuing just meant having the ability to move more quickly from one pen to another via various corralling and kettling methods. In fact this means that you spend longer queuing than someone who turns up to the gate mid-call.

It turns out that is what I hate: the Swissport ground handling at Luton. The flight I can more or less block out, albeit the contingent of passengers is terrible and the announcements are just as numerous and obnoxious as I remember. However, the ground treatment has seriously stressed me. People were once again banging on doors wanting to escape from the secondary and tertiary cells. The temperature was overbearing. The pregnant woman next to me had nowhere to rest.

At least this time, the third confinement area, i.e after queuing at the gate, and queuing in the sauna of the post-gate locked-room, we get to the apron-adjacent cattle pen which had a roof this time. On my previous LTN-MLA FR jaunt, I had 30 minutes in the sweltering locked room followed by 45 minutes in a snow storm on the tarmac without cover. This time it was only 5 minutes and the weather was better.

Anyway, rant over. I will now return this thread to normal service. I will consider relationship counselling options if they have a miles/points premium.

Lionell likes this.