Reward Chart Series for Blog. Input Requested

Discussion in 'Other frequent flyer programmes' started by FlyingPiggie, Feb 24, 2017.

1. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

OK. So I'm thinking about running a series of posts in March looking at reward charts across a number of different frequent flyer programmes, but instead of on a programme-by-programme basis I'm thinking about a reference chart based on destination. So, it would probably be:

Europe to North America
    Europe to Asia
    Europe to Middle East / India
    Europe to Australia
    Europe to Southern Africa (maybe)
    Europe to ???

Then I would show how many miles are required from a number of frequent flyer programmes, which would probably be:

British Airways
    Aer Lingus (Avios)
    Iberia Plus
    Virgin Atlantic
    Miles & More
    LifeMiles
    ANA Mileage Club (maybe)
    Flying Blue
    Alaska
    AAdvantage
    JAL (maybe)

The ultimate intention is providing a reference for which programmes tend to charge the fewest miles to certain places. Hopefully it ends up as a sweet spot highlighter.

Anything I'm missing? Too many FF programmes? Too few? Thoughts? I always worry about focusing on the programmes I like, rather than the ones people actually use...

RichT likes this.
  2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Great idea (in fact something I've pondered many times myself but never got round to!).

3. RichT

RichT New Member

+1 from me!

Although it could potentially require a lot of maintenance as teh FF programmes keep buggering about with rates - is there some kind of wiki format we could use?

4. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Good point. I wonder if we can set up a wiki on the forum maybe? (Yes, I should almost definitely already know whether that's possible or not, but plead total incompetence when it comes to anything remotely technical).

5. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I've just been reliably informed that something along those lines might well be possible. Lionell is going to experiment with it on the dutch forum first though.

6. FlyingPiggie

Are there that many devaluations / reward chart changes in a year? The problem with a wiki is that somebody has to quality control any changes to avoid malicious spammers, etc. I'm just as happy if people leave comments on the post, and then updating the charts when necessary.

7. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Haha - certainly feels like it sometimes!

Yeah, a normal post is fine - me and Tom can always update it if you're busy.

8. FlyingPiggie

BTW, is it a reward chart or an award chart? :) I'm trying to stick to the premise that you are "awarded" miles and then "rewarded" with a free ticket. But if people are googling "award chart" then my semantics is a waste! Maybe it's a Brit / American thing?

9. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

One of the banes of my blogging life - different programmes use both. AA, Alaska, Singapore etc use 'award chart' but Air New Zealand and Aeroplan etc use 'reward chart', and BA talks about 'reward flights'. I wouldn't be at all surprised if individual airlines are inconsistent in their own usage too.

I generally use 'award chart' unless I happen to notice that the specific programme references a 'reward chart', as it seems to be what most airlines use. That's just for consistency really though - and if we are confused, I imagine LOTS of people search for airline 'reward' charts.

Basically, use whatever you are most comfortable with!

10. FlyingPiggie

11. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

FlyingPiggie likes this.