Refunds

Discussion in 'Miles & points via credit cards' started by Aston100, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Aston100

Aston100 New Member

About a week ago I received my 22k points for reaching the £2k spend requirement on my amex gold preferred rewards card.
    I now find I may need to ask for a refund on an item I purchased with it.
    This may take a couple of weeks to process by the retailer.
    This refund will take my total spend on the card to under £2k.

Will I lose the rewards points?
    I hadn't planned on continuing to use that card - I'm already spending on my wife's card (with my supplemental card).

Anyone have any knowledge of what happens?
    Thanks.

2. Darren0291

Darren0291 Member

yes you'll lose the points, if you've transferred the points you'll have a negative balance and i dont think amex will be happy if its left like that

JoeD and Aston100 like this.
  3. davegreen1980

davegreen1980 New Member

Next time tell the retailer that the card you paid with is cancelled and they will have no other choice but to refund back to a different credit card

cinereus and Aston100 like this.
  4. SteveBG

SteveBG New Member

Dependent on the retailer - and of course the member of staff - they shouldn't refund to a different card. That's gonna be very hit & miss, and obviously you've got to be comfortable from an ethics point of view. If you bought it online, they may well have a token relating to your original card, meaning any refund will automatically be put back on the Amex card.

There's a few threads on here about ways you can achieve spend targets via everyday purchases. Might be worth a look if you need to top-up on your own Amex - the title of the thread was Manufactured Spend IIRC

5. DouglasForsyth

DouglasForsyth New Member

Bit of a tricky situation.

Would you be happy be refunded through store credit/vouchers etc?

If not, just get in touch with Amex and see what they say. Something can probably be organised as a compromise.

6. cinereus

cinereus Member

They shouldn't, but in practice I very rarely have any issue getting this done.