Marriott Points Promotion

Discussion in 'Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy' started by litefoot, Apr 18, 2016.

1. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Back in December, I found out that Marriott Rewards had been running a social media promotion since August. If you signed up with Mr Chirpify and connected it to your Facebook/Twitter/Instagram accounts, and shared Marriott content, you'd be able to earn points on a daily basis, for free.

I didn't have a Marriott account, so I registered for one and had a go at the promo to see if it was worth taking part.... and it definitely was. Back in December I had 0 points. Now I have nearly 4000! I've never stayed at a Marriott hotel or spent a single penny!

The promo hasn't been running since early February, but this afternoon it's started up again. So now is a good time for me to mention it here, and explain how to get the points.

First, go to mrpoints.chirpify.com/user/dashboard and register. You'll be prompted to add your Marriott, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts. Simply by doing this you will receive either 25 or 50 points for each one. If you tick all the boxes you amass 2-300 points approx - I can't remember the exact amount, but the points will show up in your Marriott account instantaneously. It could be more.

Once your social media accounts are connected up, you should be able to start posting to earn points. I have a separate Twitter account set up for this sort of thing, so that my tweets don't alienate my friends, who aren't interested.

All you have to do is tweet #harborlife #MRPoints. One tweet gets you 50 points. Tweet four times for the maximum 200 points available today. You'll get an automated reply from the @MarriottRewards Twitter account and the points show up in your Marriott account instantaneously. So in addition to your registration points, you should amass 500 points approx on your first day!

If you're not a Twitter fan, you can use Facebook and Instagram as well. If you don't have accounts with them, it's worth setting them up just to get the registration points.

Bear in mind that you can only collect the 200 across all accounts, not 200 for each account.

Retweets work just as well as tweets, so you can actually just click the retweet button to get your points. For example, you can retweet my four tweets today from my @airportraveller account (I don't get any points from people retweeting me, by the way). I assume the 'share' button on Facebook provides the same benefit.

The hashtags and end date can change without warning. I strongly recommend keeping an eye on the Flyertalk thread devoted to this promo to keep up to date with it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...ewards-points-tweeting-posting-instagram.html

I don't know if this will continue tomorrow or next week - all I know is you'll get the 200 points today. Back in the first few months when it was running every day, the points stacked up quickly. I suspect the promo will be adjusted to give fewer points, but available every day.

I admit the points earnings are not huge in the short term but if you are willing to log into one social media account per day to get your points, you can stack up a huge amount over time, and they will eventually get you a hotel stay.

The lowest amount you need for a Marriott hotel is 6000 points. That's for a Category 1 hotel (Pointsaver option).

If you're just short of enough points for a hotel stay, then it's a great solution, especially as the points show up in your account in no time at all.

It surprised me how little coverage this promotion got when it was running August-February non-stop. Definitely worth a go!

tommyl and Gagravarr like this.
  2. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

I tried to get another 200 this morning, but it maxs out at 200 for the promotion. Can't be long before the next promo arrives, though!

3. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Eleven days on and here's the next promo:

"Tag #StayDC #MRpoints in your social posts to earn 25 Marriott Rewards points per post (maximum of 125 points)!"

You need to tweet a photo each time.

That's another 125 points in the bag for a measly five tweets (or retweets, which is far easier! :) )

4. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Another promo:

"Tag #MarriottMakeItYours #MRpoints in your social posts to earn 50 Marriott Rewards points per post (maximum of 200 points)."

I got 75 points for this today, in three tweets. Contradicts the above text but I'm not complaining. It's still money for old rope! I'll see if I get another 75 tomorrow.

5. Adam

Adam Active Member

Can you convert Marriott points into any other hotel or airline points?

litefoot likes this.
  6. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Yes, but it isn't 1:1. More details here. Plenty of airlines, though

https://www.marriott.co.uk/rewards/usepoints/morerew.mi

For example, 10k Marriott points = 2k avios. But, the more Marriott points you transfer, the better the ratio.

I'm still a newcomer to this and I'm not sure it's a great option. I think there's more value in booking a night at a hotel.

Here are the points required (Pointsaver column)

http://www.marriott.co.uk/rewards/pointsGridPopUp.mi?awardType=Standard

As long as I can earn these points just for a tweet or two, I will keep doing it!

7. Adam

Adam Active Member

Just signed up all social media accounts, how long does it take for tweets to convert into points?

litefoot likes this.
  8. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Instantaneous.

Adam likes this.
  9. Adam

Adam Active Member

Slightly OT:
    Is IHG top tier status to match HH Platinum status still achievable by transferring VA miles over to IHG?
    Raffles has quoted it today within the VA 15% bonus offer but interesting if it still works as the original thread article was from July 15.
    Update: according to Raffles still working 2 x weeks ago and you need 75k VA miles which attracts a 25k bonus.
    Its what to do with 100k ihg points apart from stay in ihg partner hotels?

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  10. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

100k IHG points could get you two nights in one of their nicest hotels outside a key city, 2 nights in a pretty good hotel in a key city, 10 nights in an out-of-the-way hotel, or an epic 20 nights somewhere that's on their periodic "Points Break" list (but only if you're very quick when the list comes out!)

There are some excellent hotels (eg ICs or Hotel Indigos) that are only 40k a night, if you pick up a few more points from one of their periodic promotions (nothing good right now for non-Americans) you could even get a lovely 3 night long weekend somewhere from it

11. Adam

Adam Active Member

I found a redemption section a few days ago on ihg website but it was unclear how many ihg points you needed to convert over to avios etc?

litefoot likes this.
  12. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

13. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

You need a minimum of 10,000 IHG Points, and they convert to 2,000 Avios (5:1).

I wouldn't generally advise it for Avios (unless you really need them!), but for some higher value/more difficult to get Miles (like Alaska, American, United etc) it's not a terrible option. Not good, but not terrible.

http://www.ihg.com/hotels/gb/en/global/redeem-rewards/miles

tommyl likes this.
  14. Adam

Adam Active Member

Thanks, that redemption route makes getting Platinum status with HH more bearable getting 20k avios or VA miles back.

15. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Retweet five tweets with a photo and the hashtags #stayDC #MRpoints, and you'll get 125 points today! (25 points each) Just got mine!

Or just tweet, but that takes longer :)

16. Adam

Adam Active Member

Anyone managed to get this working today (day 2)? No joy here!

17. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

I believe Marriott don't hit the reset button until midnight Eastern time. Try later.

I wasn't expecting this hashtag to be more than a one off - to give away 125 points a day would be incredibly generous. I'm still hoping they return to how they did it in 2015, which was two tweets a day for 25 points each.

18. Adam

Adam Active Member

How do you start a new thread on here, looked all over but can't find anyway of posting new Deals?

19. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Blue button on the right side which says 'POST NEW THREAD'.

20. Adam

Adam Active Member

Thanks, found the button when you click on the main sub section heading for threads on a particular topic and not whilst inside that topic.