Faint heart never won fair maiden - or upgrade for that matter

Discussion in 'Hilton Honors' started by johnbrowell, Dec 8, 2019.

1. johnbrowell

johnbrowell Active Member

I'm getting braver / more confident as I near the end of my current Diamond Status, achieved on the back of a status match last December. Currently in Leeds at a mattress run I decided to stay at, as part of my plan to retain Gold status for next year.

I paid £47.60 for a basic queen guest room, and was not offered any upgrade at check-in so headed straight up. I'd been monitoring the app during the day and seen the last suite disappear so assumed there was nothing left. But checked the app once I was in my room, and a king suite appeared again.

So leaving the room in pristine, untouched condition, I went back to the front desk and politely asked if they could give me an upgrade. And they did ! Davide on the front desk was brilliant.

And now I'm sat in the 13th floor sky bar enjoying the second of my free drinks.

JoeD likes this.
  2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Skybar - must be the DoubleTree then! I quite like it there, but have never got a 'proper suite upgrade. Next time, I shall ask :).

Have you stayed at the Hilton round the corner recently? I'm always put off because it looks a bit rubbish, but probably should check it out at some point (professional curiosity if nothing else, and I do prefer a hotel to have a pool).

The new Doubletree in Harrogate (Majestic) looks interesting too - rooms under £60 even on Saturdays some of the time.

None have lounges though, which makes the benefit of Diamond status a bit limited.

3. johnbrowell

I have stayed at the Hilton as well, but only once, for an early mattress run when I was qualifying for the Diamond status match. But I am due back there before Christmas, booked as one more mattress run to ensure I at least qualify for Gold status next year. But again had planned to actually stay, so not a proper mattress run this time.
    Will let you know if I get lucky with any upgrade.

Last time I had a standard room but it was perfectly adequate, and the restaurant and breakfast were really good. Despite not actually staying in the room for that mattress run, I did get into Leeds early enough to have breakfast !

JoeD likes this.
  4. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I've got a stay in Leeds just before Christmas that I need to book - will either check out the Hilton, or pay a few quid more for the Crowne Plaza (I should get lounge access with spire ambassador), and I haven't been there since the refurbishment.

5. johnbrowell

I got an upgrade to a double suite - probably my last proper upgrade due to Diamond status; I expect Gold status will not generate many, but will still be asking.

Richard1974 likes this.
  6. Ajr

Ajr New Member

Has anyone else got an offer for 18,000 points after three separate stays? The cheapest hotel would be the Moxy Excel which can be had for around £42 for a night

JoeD likes this.
  7. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Nope, but decent offer if you're going to be staying anyway. I wouldn't consider mattress running it.

8. Jay

Jay New Member

Nope sadly not. I'm guessing you don't stay regularly?

9. Danish

Danish New Member

learning is good, than you so mch