Destination suggestions

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Ian, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Ian

Ian Active Member

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some advice. I have around 250,000 Avios, an Amex 2-4-1 voucher and a wife wanting a break, maybe a long weekend away somewhere interesting, flying up-front. We visit Boston regularly to see family, and that's a bit of a haul for a long weekend. I'm thinking Dubai in First?

Anywhere else worthy of consideration where I'm likely to see reward availability within approx 6 months of travel?

Thanks in advance, people :)

tommyl likes this.
  2. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

Dubai is an opinion divider of course. I went there recently with kids and it was great - just so easy and everything so accessible.

Istanbul is a real favourite of mine. Great shopping, eating/drinking and some real culture (unlike, you might argue, Dubai). Also very good for kids. I have always found the Turks unfailingly friendly, too.

Sorry to undermine your plans a touch, but I'm not sure I'd use the 2-4-1 voucher for a shortish haul weekend break (although Dubai would be fair enough) - save it for a proper holiday to the Far East or somewhere: get yourself in First or Business on the Avios and the wife in on the 2-4-1. We did it to HK recently - I've always found Avios reward availability to Honkers pretty good.

3. Ian

Ian Active Member

The far east is on the list, and we enjoyed Turkey many years ago so that's all good advice.

The added complexity with a "proper" holiday is we'd normally take our son (who at 12 is an adult in the airlines' opinion). Plan A was Boston for all of us in August, but there is next to no Club availability, and couple that with us trying to tie up with a short course from Boston or NYC it gets tricky. Plan B is therefore to buy the Club flights while they're on sale for more choice of dates and use the 2-4-1 for the two of us to have a short break.

First world problems, eh?

4. tommyl

tommyl Co-founder Staff Member

First World problems indeed. It's also interesting how you rack up these "deal enablers" (Avios mountains, Amex 2-4-1s etc), but then of course you become a slave to them because your holiday plans don't revolve around your holiday plans so much as they do around reward availability. I have been guilty of this on many occasions.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still build my Avios mountains etc, but I suppose occasionally you have to take a step back.

5. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

I prefer Doha to Dubai, but it does seem to be a very personal thing! Bit of a debate on that very topic on the HeadForPoints comment threads this week, in case you're interested...

How keen are you on CCR access? I'd almost be tempted to suggest using the 241 on a shorthaul+ route in Club Europe, then put the rest of the avios towards a very nice hotel on arrival, especially if just going for a weekend. Generally much easier to find availability for than 2 medium haul F tickets at short-ish notice

If going for Boston, consider ditching the 241 voucher. An Aer Lingus redemption from Dublin magically falls into a shorter distance band, and is much lower taxes than BA. Handy HFP review here from a few weeks back

6. Ian

Ian Active Member

Boston is going to happen one way or another, the question is whether we do it as a redemption with the 2-4-1, or buy while the CW sale is on. I'm aware of the DUB-BOS idea, but I can't sell the wife on the idea of 2 separate bookings to go via DUB, even though the taxes, fees and Avios saved are significant.

7. TTGLOBE4L

TTGLOBE4L Member

India seems to have good availability but you could try Cape Town (no jet lag) although availability seems to be less good for that destination!

8. Ian

Ian Active Member

India is not somewhere I have a desire to go, with no good reason for that view. Cape Town? Just been watching the TV series "Strike Back", it looks dangerous there!!

I opted to use the voucher for Boston in the end, couldn't resist flying First one way and the overall savings, even with the sale fares. Just managed to scrabble together a few more Avios to upgrade return leg to Club too. Actually surprised by the amount of CW redemption seats that became available from BOS in school holidays!

9. TTGLOBE4L

TTGLOBE4L Member

OMG I loved that series. I was gutted when it ended. The Australian actor (Damian) is now in another series called Blindspot which is also shaping up to be pretty good.
    Boston is a cool place. Enjoy!

10. Conair23

Conair23 New Member

Hi Ian/Tommy,

I am currently building up the mountain to do a First return London - Capetown using a 241. I was under the imagination that I could do this for 200,000 plus the 241. Does anyone know if that is roughly correct? Hope it is or my mountain needs to be higher!

I would have thought you could do London - Boston in first return with your 250,000 and 241?!

Cheers
    C

11. Ian

Ian Active Member

Cape town is 100,000 each way in First, so yes, that's achievable with 200,000 and the 2-4-1 for 2 of you. That assumes peak pricing. Travel outside popular times or on a Tuesday or Wednesday and it comes down to 85,000 each way.

240,000 with the voucher got us first outbound returning WT+. Did manage to get a few more Avios together and upgraded inbound to Club world a bit later. Cost £35 change fee and few quid more taxes, but a bed for an overnight flight will be welcome. Not sure the lounge at Logan is much to look forward to though.

Conair23 likes this.
  12. TTGLOBE4L

TTGLOBE4L Member

I thought Cape Town was 150,000 peak for business as have been watching this. Am I missing something?

13. Conair23

Conair23 New Member

Cool, thanks for that. Will probably be going during peak to get some winter sun but may have to multi city in through Jo'burg and out through Capetown. Want to try the A380 in First but she doesn't fly on a Tuesday. My strategy is for my 40th in 2018 so have plenty of time to keep building and see what types are going where that year. Hopefully BA have canned the 747 by then. My mountain needs to be tall as the wife is 40 the year after and I want to do the same thing again! Dayum.

Hope your trip goes well to Boston and enjoy First!

14. Ian

Ian Active Member

I was talking per person, each way rates of 100,000 for first. Business is 75,000 each.

15. Conair23

Conair23 New Member

200K Peak in First Return PP - 150k Peak Club Return PP