Citywing into liquidation

Discussion in 'Questions, Announcements & Ideas' started by litefoot, Mar 11, 2017.

1. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Citywing have gone into liquidation.

They operate the only routes from Blackpool Airport (to IOM), Gloucestershire Airport (to Jersey and IOM) and Anglesey Airport (to Cardiff). They also operated out of Belfast City and Glasgow.

It's not big news for the frequent flyer unless you use the service regularly, but I'm trying to fly out of every airport in the UK and I hadn't done Gloucestershire.. so rather annoying. More annoying for airport and airline employees, I'd imagine!

JoeD likes this.
  2. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I didn't even know there was an airport in Gloucestershire!

litefoot likes this.
  3. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Yes indeed. There are over 60 airports in the UK that handle commercial passenger traffic. Over the last six or seven years, the smaller ones have started to struggle and vanish. Plymouth, Bristol Filton, Sheffield, Manston, all gone. Oxford and Cambridge used to have them, as recently as last year, but not any longer.

Derry and Durham Tees Valley are the next ones that could vanish. Dundee isn't too hot at the moment, either... they had flights to Amsterdam but they were cancelled and now they bus you to Edinburgh.

JoeD likes this.
  4. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I had no idea it was that many! Fascinating.

How many have you managed to visit so far? I think I've departed or arrived at 12-13 off the top of my head.

5. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

6. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

Good effort! - looks like you're down to the tricky ones now though!

litefoot likes this.
  7. litefoot

litefoot Active Member

Eastern is taking over the IOM to Belfast and Newcastle routes as of today. I doubt that will last long, because of the exorbitant prices Eastern charge.

Yes, it's £99 one way... very few people will want to fly at those prices. I suspect Eastern will pull out within a year.