Best IHG redemption in New York

Discussion in 'IHG Rewards Club' started by AirHotelPoints, Aug 3, 2017.

1. AirHotelPoints

AirHotelPoints New Member

Hi all,

Any advice on the best IHG hotel for first time trip to New York - for family of 3?
    Also trying to decide whether to pay for Intercontinental Ambassador status?

Thanks

JoeD likes this.
  2. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

Ambassador only matters only cash stays at Intercontinental hotels, it doesn't mean anything at the rest of the IHG hotels, and doesn't have to mean anything on reward stays (though many do honour the benefits). So, unless you're doing a lot of cash bookings at Intercontinentals, you probably won't get enough from it for the cost

Raffles from Head for Points reviewed the refurbished Barclay Intercontinental last year, that review is well worth a look - http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/07/15/review-intercontinental-barclay-new-york-hotel/

If you want your points to go further on a redemption though, consider one of the other IHG chains further down the luxury list. There's several around Times Square and Chelsea for only 40k points/night (vs 60k at the IC), and down to only 30k if you leave Manhattan....

Barry1984 likes this.
  3. Barry1984

Barry1984 Member

I once stayed at the Staybridge Suites on reward nights. 40k/night, great location around the corner from Times Square, decent sized room for NYC, free breakfast and free snacks/drinks at a daily happy hour. Anything you can get for free in New York is welcome!!

4. beppo

beppo Member

Sounds great. Good to hear 'Free' and 'NYC' in the same sentence!

5. Gagravarr

Gagravarr Active Member

6. FlyingPiggie

FlyingPiggie Active Member

+1. I'm not sure about the room size, but I've also stayed here and found the hotel to be a really good option on points. Depending on the age of the child, having a small kitchen can also be a life-saver.

Ambassador is a waste of money unless you have lots of paid stays at an IC.

7. JoeD

JoeD Well-Known Member

I like Staybridge Suites in general but haven't stayed at the NYC one.

Cash rates at the IC Barclay can be surprisingly reasonable and could be a good use for the Ambassador 241 certificate (which can make membership worthwhile in itself).

For a fairly ludicrous (sadly not IHG) points bargain - I submit the Clarion Park Avenue where I just stayed for 12k points per night (bought for £72)
    https://insideflyer.co.uk/2017/07/choice-privileges-points-brilliant-buy-cheap/

The hotel is kind of shabby to be honest, but well intentioned and the location is excellent. £72 for a room with 2 double beds on a weekend is unbeatable at that time of year I think (I couldn't find anything better anyway...). Breakfast included too.